floor screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im due to screed my bathroom floor 75mm onto a concrete base, im wondering if im able to use just ordinary building sand instead of sharp sand as iv already got it here, will it still bond together in the same way.

Sponsored Links
im due to screed my bathroom floor 75mm onto a concrete base, im wondering if im able to use just ordinary building sand instead of sharp sand

Definitely not. Use "sharp sand". Mix it with cement, 4 to 1,, a semi dry mix. Wet the concrete base,, then mix a cement grout slurry, pour/brush it over the base as you screed,, a few sq yds at a time. Don't let it (sub base) dry out, always screed onto a wet surface.

Roughcaster.

Roughcaster,

excuse my chipping in and my ignorance but what mix ratios do you use to make this "cement grout slurry"? How much water and what consistency should it be?

Sponsored Links
If i'm making up a bucket of grout to pour over a concrete base ready for screeding, i'd get around three quarters of a bucket of clean water, and stir in enough neat portland cement, to give me a bucketful of RUNNY, POURABLE grout. If you make it too thick, you'll never get it out of the bucket. Another way i've done it, is to soak an area of floor, and then throw handfuls of dry cement onto the wet floor and brush it around in with water. So really, there's no specific ratio as such,, just wet the floor, mix up the grout, and pour it over an area of floor to screed on. If you leave any grout in the bucket, it'll thicken up, and be of no use, so just mix enough for a workable area.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back