Floor Standing Heat Only Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 20+ year old floor standing Ideal boiler that I'm looking to replace.

It's working without any issues but I am looking to replace my kitchen and think that now would be the best time to change it so that the new kitchen can be designed around a new boiler to prevent disruption at a later date.

I've found the Potterton Promax FSB 30 HE and the Ideal Mexico 15 although after a bit of research on this site and others the reviews of both are mixed, can anyone offer any advice/experiences on either boiler and any viable alternatives. I don't really have space for a wall mounted boiler.

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
Surely you have space on the wall BEHIND the existing boiler?

You also need to decide what power you require. So far you have suggested one 100% more output than the other!

Tony

You may have space on the wall behind the existing boiler to hang a new one but if it's under worktops then it is a pig of a job, I've done 2 recently (thanks to BG suveyors :rolleyes: ) & never again!
What will be an even bigger pain is working on it in the future, it's all very well having the required 200mm clearance below the boiler when it's at a decent height but when it's 200mm off the floor & you need to get at a part on the bottom of the boiler. I'm glad I wont be going back to any of them. :evil:

Surely you have space on the wall BEHIND the existing boiler?

You also need to decide what power you require. So far you have suggested one 100% more output than the other!

Tony

Yes I do have space behind the existing boiler but it will be under a worktop so I wasn't sure about hanging one on the wall there, could you recomend a suitably sized boiler that would go under a worktop?
With regards to the power it's a 2 bedroom flat with 5 radiators so I figured the 15 would be sufficient and the 30 says "Fully modulating from 9.3kW to 30.2kW" so I figured that was ok too but please advise if I've got that wrong.

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
You may have space on the wall behind the existing boiler to hang a new one but if it's under worktops then it is a pig of a job, I've done 2 recently (thanks to BG suveyors :rolleyes: ) & never again!
What will be an even bigger pain is working on it in the future, it's all very well having the required 200mm clearance below the boiler when it's at a decent height but when it's 200mm off the floor & you need to get at a part on the bottom of the boiler. I'm glad I wont be going back to any of them. :evil:

Thanks for the reply, what would you recomend as a like for like floor standing boiler?

It does not work well to have an over powered boiler!

Your real heat load is probably only about 8 kw and you need a boiler that modulates down to about 4 kW ! Otherwise its just cycling on and off.

The only boiler that sometimes fits under a surface is the Flexiflame which has a rear flue exit. Not many people's choice.

My recommendation is to fit the boiler somewhere where full maintenance is possible and to have an appropriately sized boiler like a Worcester 12Ri.

When chosing boilers the starting point is to calculate the heat output required!

Tony

It does not work well to have an over powered boiler!

Your real heat load is probably only about 8 kw and you need a boiler that modulates down to about 4 kW ! Otherwise its just cycling on and off.

The only boiler that sometimes fits under a surface is the Flexiflame which has a rear flue exit. Not many people's choice.

My recommendation is to fit the boiler somewhere where full maintenance is possible and to have an appropriately sized boiler like a Worcester 12Ri.

When chosing boilers the starting point is to calculate the heat output required!

Tony

Thanks for the advice

Is the worchester a make you'd recommend or are you just pointing that out because it fits the size requirements? Can you recommend any other boilers that fit the size you've mentioned.

Thanks
Ian

The Worcester Ri boilers come in a wide range of sizing that make for very efficient operation.

They are easy to fit and very quiet.

They seem to have been very reliable for the last two years since they were introduced but the design of the heat exchanger does give rise to some concerns about the longevity.

I dont recommend any brand of boilers. I scan the market and suggest models which would suit.

This model is very suitable for the installer and technically. For long term reliability I would prefer a Viessmann or Vaillant with a stainless steel HE but they dont do low power models.

Tony

Thanks for the reply, what would you recomend as a like for like floor
standing boiler?

I've fitted 2 floor standing Mexico's & have had no come backs from them, I know they're not everyones cup of tea but the first one is now 3 years old & apart from servicing it hasn't been touched

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back