Floorstanding condensing system boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having chosen to go with an unvented cylinder in the loft, we'll be replacing our current floorstanding Glow Worm Hideaway with a more efficient system boiler.

Ideally, one that will fit in the current space which is 850x600x600 so bigger than the current boiler. This makes it an easier install and reduces the amout of remedial work on the outside walls with render and paint etc.
There is shallow depth cupboard that we should be able to squeeze a WB 24i into as they seem to be quite shallow but the fluing, power and piping are all more of a challange if we have to go this route.

The preference is for a floorstander and there don't appear to be many available apart from the biggie storage combi's.

Is the Ideal Mexico 18HE or 24HE a reasonable boiler?
*EDIT: The Mexico appears to be open vent only not sealed system?*
Another option would be a Potterton Promax FSB 30HE - better or worse?
Any others?

Sponsored Links
Its unlikely you need much more than 18 kW using the whole house calculation method.

Those are small and wall mounted. The Worcester 18 Ri is a good choice.

Putting it in the loft close to the cylinder would be best.

No one wants to use floor space as thats too valuable.

Tony

I'm afraid the loft's not really an option Tony.
We're planning that loft conversion so there's space for an unvented cylinder but that's all really.
Plus we'd have to rip half the house apart to get a gas pipe up there, in which case we'd be better off mounting a 24i in the cupboard. 18kWh is probably fine as you say but they don't do one of those as a system boiler and the 12i is a bit small.

You dont think so? Try looking at:-

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=product.home&con_id=132062

OK, its not a system boiler but you can add an external expansion vessel or they can be used on an open vented system.

The gas supply to the loft is quickly and easily fitted on the outside of the house.

As the boiler is so small its easily fitted in a loft in the sloping part which is unused during the conversion.

Tony

Sponsored Links
DONT fit the Ideal or the Potterton :evil: You'll hav a life of hell afterwards and probably need a spare room for an engineer to move in :LOL:

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 618 and a Unistor connected via a VR65 and a VRC400. Probably the most advanced and efficient set up available at present.

@gas4you I did suspect they might be problematic at the lower end of the reputation spectrum. I had hoped these particular models might have had a chance of differing from the norm.
Didn't know Vaillant did a floorstander though, that's excellent news - must have missed that one somehow.

@Tony I see your point, if it were up to me I'd definately consider it. Unfortunately it's not all my decision and gas pipe up the side of the house wouldn't get planning consent from the other half. ;)
Then again if it was up to me, I'd pull out the oven and put an Atmos Multi in the kitchen... much nicer to look at. Perhaps it's wise she has to approve first. :LOL:

:LOL:
True! It would be an easier sell if the boiler wasn't happily purring away innocently in it's current position. Not sure it's wise stabbing it with a screwdriver to help it fail though. ;)

Her get out clause would just be to go with the WB Highflow 440 which does fit without any problem. Still an option I suppose if we come up short on the others but the cupboard is 330mm deep so a WB 24i should fit in that, supposedly 270mm deep.
A replacement floorstander would be the neatest and easiest option.

No, Vaillant don't do a floor standing, but wall mounted low down might be an option???

Ah, no I'm afraid not. With the flue on the top they're too tall - need about 1050mm and even if we raise the counter we've only got about 900mm.
Under a (non opening) window too (just to complicate matters) but wouldn't like to cut that close and only leave around 1 brick above even if the flue was piped sideways once outside.

Either need a really shallow boiler to go in the cupboard or a floor stander with a max height of about 900mm. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back