Floor Structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will soon be having our sand cement screed laid and it will have UFH within.

We are trying to choose our flooring in advance so that we can get the screed laid to the correct depth. I understand that we need to get an engineered wood floor due to the UFH. I have a few questions.

1) I will be painting "BlackJack" onto the existing concrete floor and up the walls as far as the existing DPM. The existing DPM in the wall is at the height that we want our FFL so that there is no step between the two rooms. Is it a problem that the screed will not come as high as the old DPM?

2) Should I put the insulation upstands to the height of the desired FFL or to the height of the screed?

3) Once I have allowed my screed to dry for several weeks, what do I need to put between "it" and the engineered boards? (some kind of membrane?) Does this depend on the thickness of the board?

4) Is it best to glue the floor directly to the screed (or membrane if required) or should I lay a thin layer of ply?

5) Any considerations to be made regarding thickness of plank and effectiveness of UFH?

Hopefully someone can help out, but realise the first two might be for the building forum?

Paul

Sponsored Links
think you're better off asking this on Ebuild, plenty of such situations been discussed there: http://www.ebuild.co.uk/community/

As for the common practise when installing Wood-Engineered boards on concrete/screed which has UFH embedded: most manufacturers recommend to fully bond it with flexible adhesive to prevent airgaps between concrete and wood floor.
The 20mm multi-layers (6mm Solid top layer) of the likes of Duoplank and Hattan are of great quality to use in this situation, see a case-study here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back