Glued Flooring over screed and UFH

EDT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the middle of a small kitchen extension and have installed wet UFH over insulation and screed which was laid on 13th December. We have engineered wood flooring to be installed on top (glue down).

Our builder is now saying because the flooring is glue down it will need more drying time than if it were a click flooring or tiles. He says with tile it could be laid 3 days after laying the screed, and click flooring 2 weeks - but everything I am researching says the screed needs to be properly cured before any flooring can be laid, so realistically still a few weeks/months for our 60mm screed regardless of floor choice.

I’d also read that the UFH should be commissioned before any flooring is laid but he hasn’t even connected it to the boiler yet.

Can anyone help shed some light on this please? Would love a second opinion as it’s not levelling up with everything I’m reading!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the screed that he has laid is not a Calcuim Suplhate or Anhydrate screed, then yes the floor needs to be very dry, tested with a protimeter or hydrometer box before laying the wood. You could speed up installation with a liquid DPM treatment and screed top coat.

Even if you were floating a floor you would still want to ensure the floor is dry as per above. Ceramic tiles can be laid quite quickly, click LVT or Lmainate

If the builders screed is Calcium Suplhate or Anyhdrate, then there are a few other stages that need considering.

Even though it's not connected to the boiler, has the pipework been brought up to pressure?

I think normal practise is to bring it up to pressure and screed whilst pressurised (mine was).

Sponsored Links
Wait till mid jan, switch heating on low for 21-30 days, do a hydrometer test. Floor needs to be under 65%RH for glued down wood. But I’d be going with a liquid Dpm Like ardex dpm1c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back