Floor tiles - concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time here at this realy useful site.

I currenly have a laminate floor in my kitchen which I am taking out and replacing with a tiled floor.

It appears that the floor below the laminate is the orignal concrete base laid at the time the kitchen was built.

Can I lay my tiles directly onto the concrte floor or do I need to lay a ply base beforehand?
Pete

Sponsored Links
hi
you can lay tiles directly onto the concrete floor no problem...but is the concrete floor level ?...if not you may have to level it out using some leveling compound available from diy outlets..

I would also put some bal bond sbr on the floor to trap any dust.

What tiles are you putting down as this also depends on that adehsive you use eg ceramic you can get away with a bog standard powdered adhesive- porcelain you will need a product with (in bals range) porcelbond in it.
If you are using grey grout make sure you use grey adhesive if you are using a light grout or laying travertine or marble use a white adhesive.

Sponsored Links
I would also put some bal bond sbr on the floor to trap any dust.
Not essential. If you vacuum and mop, that's good enough.
What tiles are you putting down as this also depends on that adehsive you use eg ceramic you can get away with a bog standard powdered adhesive- porcelain you will need a product with (in bals range) porcelbond in it.
You don't necessarily need to use Bal adhesive for porcelain tiles - you just need to make sure that the adhesive you go for is suitable for use with porcelain tiles. I think you'll find that most flexible powdered adhesives are suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back