Tiling a part wood/concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen, which is part wooden floorboard and old concrete floor and some of this will be new concrete as the kitchen will be extended. I was going to lay 6mm marine ply over the whole area securing the ply a regular intervals with screws but not sure what to do with concrete part, maybe adhesive???

Is putting ply down the best thing to do??
Can I secure ply on top of concrete ??
how long do I wait to lay tiles onto new concrete?

Any other solutions are welcome

Sponsored Links
Is putting ply down the best thing to do??

Yes,make sure all the floorboards is secure to the joist and extra nails/screws where needed,then marine ply over ex-floorboard with non-rust screw every approx 10".

Can I secure ply on top of concrete ??

Forget it ! You can use latex floor finisher on top of your concrete floor which will take it up from 3mm to 10mm and butt up to the marine ply joint.More details can be found at www.acml.co.uk/sx1.htm

how long do I wait to lay tiles onto new concrete?

You will find the details above website address.

Masona,

I am about to start a similar project (wooden bathroom floor) but I was going to use OSB board as it is 1/2 the price of plywood + it's a large area I have to floor .....should I have any concerns with using this v's Plywood?

i had the same thing in my kitchen,got experts in ,all they did was to use a special floor adhesive and grout which flexes . As long as your boards are well secured and dont move too much and there is no major unevenness ,experts said this stuff was new on the market at time that was 18 months ago tiles are still fixed down with no cracks in grout etc ,its a little more expensive than normal floor adhesive but it saves on having to board the floor.

Sponsored Links
Alexnic,

The OBS (Oriented Strand Board) are really for non domestic,for example shed roof/floor.They also tend to swell up under damp condition.The OBS are really cheap chipboard not strong where're plywood are strong with each layer of laminate with glue.Interior plywood use normal wood glue & Exterior plywood use waterproof glue.If your floorboards is okay you don't have to put plywood down as Malo's note said there are special floor adhesive which is flexible,but make sure the boards are well secured.Personally I would put plywood down as its spread the load over each individual floorboards and no unevenness.I know the OSB is cheaper but is it worth it as you could find its cost you dear in the long run.The choice is yours,good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back