Laying tile backer boards on a part concrete, partwood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya :D

I've bought some handy heat 10mm thermal substrate backer boards to fit under tiles in my kitchen (we're not having underfloor heating, but there is a void beneath the floor of almost 1.5m and its bloody cold!) however, my kitchen floor is made up of 2/3rds floorboard, and 1/3 concrete slab.

The manufacturer recommends fixing to concrete using an ordinary floor tile adhesive (preferably rapid setting).

I'm concerned about movement between the concrete and wooden parts of the floor - although this has never been a problem before (tiles are currentlydown on 15mm ply on the wood part, and cement on the cement part).

My question is: Some of the backerboards will need to be both on the wood and the concrete. Do I need to use a special membrane to cover the join where these to different floor materials meet? Or would a flexible tile adhesive do for the concrete part and normal screw downs for the wood part :?: :?: :?:

Here's a spec
http://www.handyheat.co.uk/underfloor-heating/insulation.html

Thanks in advance for any help!

Faye

Sponsored Links
There are several tile backer boards available but not familiar with the one you’ve picked; it obviously provides insulation but I’m unsure how much additional rigidity it will provide to the timber floor. You’ve removed 15mm ply & you really need to put something back that will be equally as rigid or you could be risking tile failure, especially in a high load/heavy traffic area such as a kitchen; what “timber” is the floor? In addition to backer boards, you should really be fitting an uncoupling membrane if tiling across the two substrates, http://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/SHDITRA1M.html
This will accommodate any lateral movement between the two, you may have been lucky with the ply but there is no guarantee you will be as lucky next time. Depending on the size layout, an expansion strip between the two is sometimes necessary & even a better solution if the join is across a door threshold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back