Floor tiles onto quarry tiles..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just gone and bought some floor tiles 450x 450mm for my hallway and a bag of unibond floor tile ceramic adhesive/grout..
Can l lay these floor tiles on top of quarry tile already on the floor..
What thickness should l make the bed of adhesive..
Is it best to cover the whole area with adhesive or will doing the corners and centre in adhesive be ok...
Finally where is it best to start, can someone tell me how to mark out the correct starting point... Thanks

Sponsored Links
I advise you ditch the Unibomb, get a refund & buy a decent trade powder adhesive. Never dot & dab any tiles, especially on the floor. Floor tiles require 100% adhesive coverage underneath or they will crack under load.

Whilst it’s entirely possible to tile over tile, it’s not something I would do or recommend unless there is no alternative. Its bodge job IMO & if the original tiles aren’t flat, you’ll have trouble getting those 450mm tiles to lay flat & look good. What sort of floor tiles are they?

With that size tile, you need to use a large format trowel to get the correct adhesive bed thickness.

It’s usual to mark out the centre of the room & plan the tile layout from there but it depends on local circumstances & what will look best in each room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back