Floor tiles over old black adhesive

CX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old thermoplastic tiles on my concrete floor were so loose they were coming up when vacuuming, so they were stripped off completely.

I'm left with a nice and level concrete screed floor, with no bits of tiles, but a very thin layer of black adhesive left over. The adhesive isn't sticky.

Do I need to do anything special before tiling with a ceramic or porcelain floor tile?

Sponsored Links
I have the same issue but my tiles are still currently down. This is proving a real headache on the best way around the problem as the bitumen is so tricky to get up. To remove some advise a scraper, or blower, sander or chemical product. Just be aware that it may well contain asbestos as is the case for the tiles.

Many people advise to use a self-levelling compound on the bitumen but it won't adhere properly. Remember to think of a DPM as well.

2 companies you perhaps may want to contact are F-Ball (based in Leek) and Ardex (based in Haverhill); if you speak with their technical teams they will advise based upon your situation.

I have read Ardex do a product called Arditex NA and some claim will seal the bitumen allowing a work around instead of removing which is very labour intensive.

• Thanks
Reactions: CX
Sponsored Links
I've decided on a floating click vinyl floor in the end, so no concerns about adhesion (as with tiles), or bleed-through (as with sheet vinyl) so I just need to level off a couple of areas.

I'll look into the Arditex NA - I've seen this product recommended in a few other places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back