tile over old black adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing my kitchen floor this week and have taken up the old vinyl tiles as a few were missing bits, and a few missing entirely ( under the old units )..
this has left me with a black tarry like substance on the concrete floor which I assume was the adhesive for the vinyl tiles..

do I need to do anything to this before tiling over it ( ceramic tiles )?

Sponsored Links
as long its sound and all loose bits gone, and of course it isnt overly high, just tile over it.

the tile place gave me a little bottle of something white when I fetched my tiles and adhesive and grout..
not sure what it's for...

do I mix it in with the adhesive or paint it over the black stuff before I slop the adhesive on?

the tile place gave me a little bottle of something white when I fetched my tiles and adhesive and grout..

do I mix it in with the adhesive or paint it over the black stuff before I slop the adhesive on?

what does it say on the side of the bottle?

whats it called?

it may be a flexing agent that you use mixed in with the adhesive and grout, i wouldnt reccomend this if it is, id use flexi adh and grout rather than a mixer.

just my onion.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
You usually get one of those in the curry house when you tell em that their Balti is dodgy. ;)

it's "something"bond.. it's in the car and I can't be bothered to go out to read it..

Then I can't be bothered to tell you what it's for.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i read that last night what the fella put and thought exactly the same thing.

hiya ive come for advice andhelp, cant be as*ed to make the questions clear, where am i going wrong tho?

oh be fair. it was 11.22pm and I was in my jammies and I didn't fancy going out in the dark and rain to read the side of a bottle..

went out this morning and it's flexibond..

I never asked what I was doing wrong. I just wondered what the little bottle was for as they didn't explain..
I told them the area and what tiles I wanted, picked a grout colour and told them it was a conctrete floor and told them about the black stuff..
he scribbled down a list of stuff and that's what I collected monday ( had to order the tiles in )..

its just A,N. other additive to add to the adhesive and grout. to be honest if you need flexi adh get flexi adh.

i dont like the additives they dont work as well as the real thing.

but im sure someone on here will contradict what ive said and say somehting similar too" they wouldnt sell it if ti didnt work" etc etc

sorry im done now!

I thought that flexi adhesive was just for wooden floors, why would it need to be flexi on a solid concrete floor?

maybe they beleive from your description of the black stuff that it may move. hence flexi.

Have you ever tried moving a whole floor of tiles? You should have used Ditra to separate (decouple) the floor from the tiles. Then the floor can do whatever it likes as the Ditra simple sits above it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back