Which adhesive??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am going to lay 400mm by 400mm ceramic tiles over some vinyl tiles in my kitchen.

Half of the vinyl tiles have been painted with that black tar like adhesive as there was some more flooring glued to the top. All the tiles are sound.

I was thinking of using a BAL flexible adhesive! Any thoughts on this?

I may consider taking up the vinyl tiles but there is a black tar like glue sticking them onto the screed. And they contain asbestos so would rather leave them alone.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if they are sound you can go right on top of them, use the bal flexi that would be better than a jam and onion mixture that you buy at b and Q

Sponsored Links
I have nowhere near me that sells Bal rapidfix flexi. To order 1 20kg bag from Trades-Direct will cost me £50 with VAT and delivery.

My local tiling store sells a Granfix rapid setting flexible adhesive for porcelin tiles for £21 for a 20kg bag. Anyone used this or would advise against it?

Thanks.

Just to add my tiles are not porcelin. I priced this product as the Bal one was Ok for porcelin.

i personally wouldnt use granfix but others will say its fine, have you anywhere local that sells weber? if so go for the weber rapid sp.

Thanks all. I found a shop 10 miles away that sells BAL. I got a bag for £44.

I am tiling 6 square meters and BAL says it will do up to 6 square meters so if I run out I'm not paying another £44 just for a few cuts. I will get the granfix and see what I think of it. Its just over £20 a bag. The cuts will be around the edges with no traffic on them.

£44? Jesus Christ.

Both are cement based with added polymers for flexibility.

BAL cement is no better than Granfix, Palace, Ardex or others, I can assure you.

I don't know why people bang on about Bal, their bucket adhesives are **** (white star excluded), and their products are over priced.

Grout is the only thing I use from Bal.

I was recommended BAL on here when I did my bathroom floor. I have no experience with tile adhesives and just rely on you guys to tell me what to buy. I guess the main ingredient cement, is cement at the end of the day.

Bal make good products, that's not in question. Generally it's Topps Tiles that sell it and if you let them they will charge the earth. If you've decided upon which adhesive you want to use, then check the prices online before you see what price it is in the tile shops. You'll always be able to deal with retailers (especially Topps Tiles) cause there's a big mark up on adhesive and grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back