Floor tile question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to lay our kitchen floor tiles this weekend so here is my question there is down already the standard glued down grey vinyl tiles on a screed base now can I lay the new ceramic tiles over the old ones or do I need to rip them up & get rid of all the old adhesive?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Ideally you need to pull up all the old tiles. The problem you will get at a later date if you don't lift them will be if the old tiles come unmatched its going to make your new tiles move grout lines crack and give you loads of aggro. It's well worth spending that little extra time removing the old ones. The glue residue on the floor is ok to tile over. I have done this several times before and it has stood the test of time. If you use a cement basses adhesive (bal) is what I use and had no issues. You can get this from Topps tiles etc. pre mixed adhesives in my experience are rubbish. It's also worth getting yourself a nice deep floor trowel to get a nice bed for your new tiles to sit on then give them a light tap down with a rubber mallet. I use a 12mm bed. Make sure you get a nice bit of adhesive under the corners of ever tile as these are the places that tiles crack over time.
Hope this helps and happy tiling.

Alex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back