1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiling over vinyl self adhesive tiles.

Discussion in 'Tiling' started by John Pepper, 4 Aug 2020.

1. John Pepper

John Pepper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi I am just after some advice. Can I lay ceramic tiles straight on top of self adhesive tiles? These vinyl tiles have also been laid on old brown linoleum. It is a concrete floor and the self adhesive tiles have been down on top of this linoleum for about 15 years. I attempted to lift the tiles but they are well and truly stuck.

John.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JaimieH

JaimieH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, don't do it. Get yourself a nice big floor scraper, sharpen it up and remove them.

4. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nor can you lay ceramic tiles on top of lino. The whole lot needs to come up.

5. John Pepper

John Pepper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers guys. What if I put Ditra down. I think that's what it is called.

6. JaimieH

JaimieH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would spend time removing the tiles and lino to get back to the concrete. However, if you are certain they are well and truly stuck and won't lift or you don't want to take them up then clean them thoroughly using a degreasing solution. Apply a grit primer such as Mapei Eco Prim Grip as this will provide a mechanical key for the subsequent layer to adhere to. Then either apply a levelling compound if the floor is uneven and/or use a cement based flexible tile adhesive to lay your tiles. I've always removed surfaces back to concrete but if I had to tile over lino or vinyl this would be how I would do it. Good luck.

7. bennymultifinish

bennymultifinish

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    one way to get old vinyl tiles up and old lino is to tile straight over the top:eek:

8. Sponsored Links