Can I lay Ceramic Floor Tiles onto old VINYL TILES?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After removing an old carpet I've found the concrete floor in reasonable condition, in as much as it's covered with the old type vinyl tiles - the 'hard/stiff' type - probably around 35 years old. They are stuck down with black adhesive.

They start to lift off with a few hard taps with a bolster (a bit at a time), but removing the black adhesive is going to be a pain.

This is for a new bathroom (not a wet room but shower tray etc).

MY QUESTION

Will modern ceramic tile adhesive adhere to old vinyl tiles?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
with these 35yrs old vinly tiles(hard ones)..be carefull they MIGHT contain traces of asbestos..

either use a 2part slc or use a slurry coat over them(portland cement and sbr)

[quote="tictic";

either use a 2part slc or use a slurry coat over them(portland cement and sbr)[/quote]

that reply could be construed as being to technical Davie mate

2 part slc, sbr put them in laymans terms ya kna like " self levelling compound " :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

well i did reply to your thread... :LOL: ...

that ya would be digging me for SOME of ma replys bud..lol
how things ;)

to the OP

as jimmy as stated a 2 part latex based self levelling compound(F-BALL range is my preffered)..
or slurrry coat...1:2 ratio..

Sponsored Links
tictic";p="1700767 said:
how things ;)

quote]

things are very well Davie mate, got tomorrow off to do some fly fishing, just finished a 49 m2 re-grout on a conservatory really dirty job but someones gotta do it, and carefully ;) chinese slate floor, looked nice once it was sealed,grouted and sealed again

was kidding about the "china"..
regrout..ohh havent done one for about a year and that was a mates house..saying that got him to do it while i supervised(with a few cold ones)..and he fcked my dremmel and about a dozen bits..was scared to let him loose with the fein... :LOL: :LOL:

dont forget yer dirty mags when yer aff catching a cold.. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back