Floor Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can someone confirm it is ok to tile straight onto floorboards providing you use the flexible adhesive?

I had my bathroom floor tiled and when I bought the adhesive I asked the man in the shop if I can tile straight onto floorboards, he said I could but only if I use this £40 a bag flexible adhesive, reluctantly I purchased this bag.

I was a bit lazy and got someone in to tile the floor couple of months have past now and a couple of the tiles move slightly, why is this?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Subfloor is not rigid enough, should have overboarded with ply, aquapanel or similar. Alternatively the old boards should have been lifted, extra noggins added then new 25mm ply floor which you could tile straight onto.

Jason

So Ive just wasted about £250 then, the man in the shop said it would be fine, wasn't going to name names but it was Right Price Tiles.

Tell us what the adhesive was, often the small print requires the subfloor to be of a higher spec than you find in the average home such as a 300mm joist spacing.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Totally agree. All floorboards should be boarded again with ply and screwed down not nailed!!

Ok I phoned the shop where I got all the stuff from and the manufacturer and they all said its ok to tile straight ointo floorboards providing they are secure.

Im going to take up the 4 which are moving and see if I can sort them out

Hi fattony

Im sorry for this for you ...:(

you say a guy tiled it for you , well ...was he a tiler , oddjob guy , friend , ?
as a pro-tiler wouldnt touch the job unless the substrate was "Boss" / 1st Class an ready for tiling ...

I would get your money back what cowboy charged ,then it needs all ripping up an the substrate from joists upwards sorting . .........
I take no pleasure from telling you this an its awful , :(
but if someone reads this they may not make the same mistake ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back