Floor tiling continuation into another room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing to tile all of the downstairs floors (apart from living room) with the same tiles and had just assumed that the tiles could be applied continuously throughout all of the rooms. For example, the tiles in the sunroom will just continue on through to the kitchen.

A tiler friend was having a look at the floor for me and said that I should put dividers in the tiles where another room begins to allow for floor settling, as cracks appear between each room. If I don't then the tiles will snap.

This is a new build house (it was finished 4 months ago) and sure enough there are cracks between the kitchen and sunroom. The other rooms have plastic strips in the actual concrete.

We really don't want to have to put dividers in the tiles. So are they really necessary? Can we remove the need for them if we leave the floors long enough to settle?

Sponsored Links
If your tiler friend is both a friend and a tiler, why don't you trust him/her?

If you don't want dividers in your floor, don't put them in. buy extra tiles so that if any crack somewhere down the line, you can replace them. It's not a big job.

Softus said:
If your tiler friend is both a friend and a tiler, why don't you trust him/her?
Trying to save as much money as we can! We have a whole house to decorate ;)

gcol said:
If you don't want dividers in your floor, don't put them in. buy extra tiles so that if any crack somewhere down the line, you can replace them. It's not a big job.
Good idea, I never thought of that! But generally is it best practice to put the dividers in?

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't bother. If you divide the rooms up, who's to say that the movement (if any) will occur at the exact spot you divide the rooms?
Having said that if you've got a wooden floor in one room and concrete in another, then you can arrange to have a grout line at the threshold. You fill that grout gap with silicone that's the same colour as your grout.
I'd play safe and buy some extra tiles. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back