Floor Varnish Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have read somewhere that water-based floor varnish does not darken wood naturally as much as polyurethane varnishes. I have Victorian pine floorboards and I wish to bring out as much natural depth of colour and grain as possible without staining them.

Any recommendations on a good product ?? I have heard that Bonakemi is supposed to be good. The house is empty so no issues with drying times, smell etc.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
oil base varethane has a little more yellow sheen to it than do's water base and has a oil smell for a few days after application I would go water base for a clearer look although it is a little more expensive.

skippy176 said:
Hi there.

I have read somewhere that water-based floor varnish does not darken wood naturally as much as polyurethane varnishes. I have Victorian pine floorboards and I wish to bring out as much natural depth of colour and grain as possible without staining them.

Any recommendations on a good product ?? I have heard that Bonakemi is supposed to be good. The house is empty so no issues with drying times, smell etc.

Many thanks

Have you ruled out hardwaxoil?

I used clear matt on my victorian pine boards and I think it's lovely, leaves them looking natural but still protects them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back