floorboard cleaning or options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello hope someone can help.
I have just bought a victorian house and all of the floorboards are exposed. They look in fairly good shape generally - I guess i will not know for sure until the previous owned has moved out and all their stuff. But from what I've seen they look like orignal boards. The previous owner has done some renovations trying to get it more 'original' but only parly done. Problem is:

1. obviously some painting etc has been done at some point (perhaps various points) and no care has been taken with the floorboards so they are quite splattered.

2. in some places it looks like hallway runners were once down for very many years and so the boards are light and 'aged' looking around the edges.

I would like to try to clean them up rather than sanding (the whole house) as the boards that are down are a nice weathered look to them and I'd prefer that to newly sanded.

From what I can tell some of the floorboards seem to have some kind of treatment (perhaps a clear varnish?) and some appear to be bare and untreated. The paint seems to be a mixture of gloss from skirting board and balustrade painting and maybe some emulsion types as well.

Does anyone have any ideas about the paint splatters and the discolouration?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I can't really see any answers to my questions on the link you provided, or am I going blind??? Thanks for trying though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back