Floorboard issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a DIY disaster today. I'm currently decorating the upstairs landing and hall ready for a new carpet next Friday.

On lifting the carpets I found a couple of floorboards semi loose (removed for plumbing I guess when we had an extension fitted 12 years ago) Being a muppet I attempted to screw one down not in a million years thinking the pipes underneath would be flush with the floorboard. It didn't take much before all hell broke loose as I punctured the hot water pipe serving downstairs.

As the water cascaded down through the ceiling I turned off the mains supply and the supply from HW tank (however the valve is clearly knackered as the flow continued ) I then literally ripped up the floorboards with a jemmy double quick, also used a jigsaw, really no time to spare.

The missus stuck her thumb over it, I then used a hoseclip and part of an inner tube to stop most of the flow, legged it to screwfix and got a 22mm endcap. Then re plumbed so all good in that respect.

In my haste to remove the floorboards I now have a bloody great hole in the floor as per the pic. I probably need a few lengths to put things right.

The house was built mid 90's. The floorboards are 110mm wide (not including the tongue) and 18mm thick.

Any idea where I can get these? Should measurements include the tongue? Looking in the usual sheds no joy at these sizes or should I cobble a repair with some 18mm chipboard flooring ?

cheers
IMG-20210611-WA0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
TBH as a short term fix I'd use plywood, chipboard or OSB whilst I sourced appropriate softwood boards

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back