Replacing floorboards

H

hello1979

I live in a second floor flat and have started the process of replacing the wiring / plumbing which involves removing the floorboards which are 8x2 18mm (sorry about metric and imperial!) tongue and groove chipboard.

I have full confidence in my work but am reluctant to put down tongue and groove again. The main reason for this being that there was a leak in the kitchen when I first moved in which lead me to having to pull the whole floor up to get to one spot. it will also mean in the future I can simply lift the correct panel to access any problem area.

Due to this, instead of buying the tongue and groove 8x2 again, I was going to buy the 8x4 18mm chipboard and have it all cut to 8x2 18mm and screwing it back down. This will be done all over the flat and will be topped with 6mm backerboard in the bathrooms and kitchen where it could get wet.

The only thing that slightly concerns me with doing this is the fact that the 8x2 purpose cut tongue and groove board is moisture resistant. The current floorboards don't seem to be treated with anything (they were laid in the 80s). Is this going to be an issue further down the line which means I'd be better laying the purpose cut and treated stuff?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back