Floorboard replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve removed some tiles in the kitchen & a section of the floor is like this. I will be tiling back over this surface with the new tiles but I’m going to cut out this part that’s rotten. Been told to use ply but what exactly should I be using? Any in particular?
DDF2BDA8-0618-42F1-B716-1494B95B28FB.jpeg8E67C541-03AA-4988-BE97-7A5F0B75973D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
For the repairs use hardwood plywood, at least 18mm thick, screwed to the joists. If your original floor boards are say 25mm thick, the plywood can be lifted 3mm by adding strips of oil-tempered Masonite or hardboard packer strips to the tops of the joists, or by 5.5mm by adding strips of 5.5mm hardwood plywood. Alternatively an additional top skin of 5.5mm ("1/4 in") hardwood plywood can be loosely fixed to the top of the plywood patches (only a few nails are needed for this). Differences of a couple of millimetres can be taken out with a skim (see below)

If the planked floor is reasonably level you can get away with nailing sheets of 5.5mm hardwood plywood over the top of it - 19 or 22mm ring shank clouts at 100mm centres ( i.e. 325 nails per sheet). If the planks are a bit less level you might need 12mm hardwood plywood. Either way I'd use a self levelling compound over the plywood to smooth out any minor sunken areas

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back