floorboards - what to cover them with after sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Am sanding down some floorboards in a 1970s house soon - am guessing they are pine as I am not actually in the house as yet.

I would like them to have a natural sheen - not shiny, and a natural or oak colour. They are bedrooms so don't have to be super hardwearing although I like the idea of washing them with a mop so ideally would be water resistant.

Am I best off with a polyurethane varnish like http://www.wickes.co.uk/professional-varnish-clear-satin-25l/invt/170757/

or a wax like http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/diamond-hard-floor-wax

Don't want to spend a fortune needless to say. The total area is approx 20m2

thanks for the advice
Rob

Sponsored Links
Rob,

You can use either a polyurethane or wax system here, and both will offer you good results. Just remember you cannot apply a varnish over wax or vice versa, wax systems don't have the longevity of polyurethane hence will need more frequent maintenance. My advice would be to go with the polyurethane and thin your first coat around 5% if you need more help you know where we are.

Dec

Personally I'd go for a natural colour using acrylic varnish. It doesn't yellow and is simple to re-coat should you ever need to (you won't in a bedroom).
It dries in about an hour two, and doesn't smell.

I'd go with an acrylic varnish. I used Johnstones quick drying polyurethane satin floor varnish on an oak floor three years ago and it has stood up to wear and tear incredibly well, put three coats on for maximum protection.

Sponsored Links
Osmo would be my choice as long as its bare timber, you can't apply it over any existing coatings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back