Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I want to sand and treat the floorboards throughout the downstairs of a mid terraced house but I'm worried about the draughts from under the house. Is it a good idea to lift the boards and put down plywood first so there is no way for draughts to come up through?. Any ideas would be welcome. Cheers, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I wouldn't put plywood down if I were you, just the floorboards. If you are going to lift the boards then you can replace them butted up next to each together.
Make sure you use the same boards as new boards will move and shrink and you will end up with gaps anyway.
I assume you have a cavity under the boards with joists sitting on brick piers?
You will get a few draughts from under the floor but there is not actually that much air movement anyway so shouldn't make a huge difference.
A carpet will always be warmer but I think that boards look good so you need to compromise a bit
If you are going to fit new boards then make sure they acclimatize to the room and fit T&G boards as this will solve the problem
Hope this helps

Cheers mate. Yes plan is to use original boards. I agree, much nicer than carpet.

Put fibre-wool insulation roll between the joists. Secure it with netting/string/tape whatever stapled to the joists.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back