Flooring, chipboard panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i am getting an extension build, 2 storeys,
at the moment there is no ceiling on the ground floor so when i look up i can see that the some of the chipboard panels for the flooring above are not sitting directly on a joists/beam.
i thought it would be best practice to have the joins between each chipboard panel directly lying on a joist to stop any sagging, creaking in the future.

can anyone tell me whats best practice for laying floors?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a problem if it's 22mm and t&g. Chipboard not the best for floors but at least it's economical. Make sure it's screwed down to avoid squeaks. Don't use it in the bathroom if you can avoid it.

I've just pulled up a floor laid like that :mad: the chipboard had given way at unsupported joints, also under heavy traffic at foot of steps. it was cracked, broken, sagging, spongy.

chipboard also goes soggy if damp and is weak and swollen when it dries

the replacement is flooring ply (far stronger and more rigid) cut to fit all short ends over a joist.

thanks for comments
the boards are just nailed down also , can i ask them to redo where the panels are overhanging the joists and to screw them down, i think it may be too late for this but i am annoyed

Sponsored Links
Agreed. For a big job like a 2 storey extension reject the chipboard.

Instead spend around £400 or so on half a ton of "exterior WBP grade" 18mm plywood sheets. Suggest you order 10% more sheets than you need to account for wastage, cutting etc. The timber yard might even give you free delivery if you order it all at once!

chipboard! noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :evil:

it should be outlawed.

shocking stuff, should only be used where absolutely no alternative would be suitable.

i meant in a scenario like say, a garage conversion, whereby there is only say 75mm difference between the garage floor and the existing house floor - and building control insist on insulation - and there is no room or thickness enough for screed - so only a floating deck will do.

in this instance, gluing together some t&g chipboard sheets and floating them on some celotex or kingspan is a decent solution, to a sticky problem.

kingspan actually sell a product that has the insulation stuck to the chipboard.
'tis called thermaflor T70.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back