Flooring in old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an old house (c170yrs old) which has a screed floor laid straight onto the earth. I've just laid some click vinyl flooring over the top of it but am thinking maybe I should have put some insulations down.

Because of the levels going into other rooms I could only get something like 10mm of insulation down. Will this make much of a difference? I don't mind taking up all the flooring and re laying it if it's going to be worth it..but obviously won't bother if it won't make to much difference

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "screed" - do you mean concrete or SLC etc?
Is there a DPM or some kind of membrane/damp proofing on the floor or under the screed?
Are all the ground floors laid on soil?
Has the present floor had damp problems?
Is the click vinyl for long or short term?

Are you happy with the present FFL's esp at doorway thresholds?

Its a sand and cement screed which seems to be laid straight on the earth.
No DPM
As far as I can tell all the ground floor is the same screed
I haven't had any damp problems on the floor yet which surprises me
Hopefully long term but I'm aware there may be damp problems in the furture which will need a proper solution.
Happy with all FFLs at present

Sorry to pester but today is the day I either take it up and re-do it or put the skirtings on and forget about it!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, I suppose 6 to 10mm of insulation won't be a miracle cure but does anyone know if it will keep the room slightly warmer, keep heating bills down etc? I guess the floor will always be cold underfoot but there's not much I can do about that now

Sponsored Links
I'd put down insulation. Every little helps.

You may find that covering the floor in vinyl creates a damp problem as it'll trap any moisture that makes its way through the slab.

Insulation? Maybe, but without a DPM in the screed I'd certainly have put down either a liquid DPM or a layer of plastic DPM. But then I'm cautious about damp

Must drain very well where you are is all I can say with what you have posted!
What was on the floor before? how are you going to get 10mm insulation?

Agreed...it all needs digging out, also the sand and cement render needs to be taken off the outside walls and replaced with lime, same as the gypsum internally but unfortunately much as I would love to do this my finances won't allow it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back