Flooring question understairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at removing the understairs cupboard to have a more open hallway to give us a bit more room and light.

I have removed some plasterboard the covered the underneath of the staircase and removed the lino flooring that was down in the cupboard. Upon doing this I have found that they had not bothered to floorboard all the way underneath the stairs which isn't no biggie as I should be able to just board it back up.

Where the lino was are the old red tiles that were probably originally down when the house was built and I believe these are also under the kitchen floor which I think used to be an old coal house etc.

I have smashed a couple of the tiles up and underneath this is a kind of crumbly cement/morter. I already have all the laminate floor bought to do the lot once I have taken the cupboard out but how do I go about getting the floor ready to laminate over?

Do I wait until I have removed all the existing laminate in the hallway and removed the cupboard door/panelling to see if ita all level and laminate directly over it all?

Also I can see under the laminate in the hallway there is another kind of wood down which I don't think is the floorboard as this other wood makes the hallway higher than the kitchen and living room. Any advise at all would be great as I'm worried about taking it all up to find I'm out of my depth with it all!
thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back