Florescent lighting, multiple units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Im installing some new lighting in my garage. Ive purchased six florescent light fixings. Can somebody point me in the direction of a wiring diagram please? Or draw me a picture lol

Cheers,

Stu

Sponsored Links
They are normally simply daisy changed everything in parallel and unless HF type you add a third to power requirement so 6 x 60W = 2A approx so using a simple fused connection unit (FCU) and 3A fuse is ample.

There are specials designed to be plugged into each other but to be frank to ask the question one's first reaction is to say get an electrician as if you need a diagram then you should not be doing the job.

My thoughts exactly regarding the getting an electrician to do it part, cheers

Do you want all 6 fittings to operate from the same switch?
And how are you feeding the supply to this part of the circuit?
Are any cables to be buried within walls/ceilings?

Sponsored Links
6? What length are they, and are they single or double fittings

Sounds like a lot for a garage, unless it's very large? Maybe you have over spec'd?

Yes all six to run from the one switch. At the moment the wiring is done from the fuse box to the switch, and from the switch up to the ceiling. There was two lights fitted but wires were twisted together and bodged so ive removed them, and replaced the wiring from the switch to the ceiling with a new length. The lights are single fittimgs, 5 foot in length

So best method would be to have the supply as it is. You can either use single pole or double pole switch.

Single pole would require connect the supply neutral to the load (lights) neutral via a connection block within the switch enclosure.

The supply line (or live) conductor would be terminated to the com/L of switch and the load line would be terminated at L1 of switch.

The load cable from the switch, would then go to each light in turn.
At the fitting connect line to live terminal and neutral to neutral terminal, do this repeatedly between each light, so light 1-5 will have two line and two neutrals at each terminal, light 6 just the one.
You will also require to terminate a continuous CPC (earth), from CU-switch-light (1-6).
BS7671 (wiring regs) would recommend that prior to putting the circuit in to service, that inspection and testing is undertaken.

If a double pole switch was to be used, then instead of use of connector for neutral at the switch, the supply and load would be connected across the appropriate switch terminals.

Thanks for your help so far, below is a photo of the old light fitting. You can see the two lots of live and negatives twisted together. One of each of those ran to the second light fitting. Obvioisly I am using new cables, but should I still wire the lights up the same way, throughout all six fittings?

Don't twist the conductors together but like my previous post you will have as your picture, two conductors for line, neutral and CPC at five of the fittings, the 6th fitting will only have one of each.

ok great, i wasn't sure if the sixth light had to be looped back or something. sounds simple enough. i'll take photos and post up before i 'go live' just in case lol.

thanks for all the help ;)

Took this of the new light today. So I can double the wires up and put both in the same holes? Without twisting them together.

Yes, that's what they normally look like.
It is bad practise to twist conductors together, you will have no problem terminating untwisted conductors in to the connection blocks. Standard cable's CSA for lighting (in a domestic), would be either 1.00mm2 T&E or 1.5mm2 T&E.

Make sure your new wires dont go too near or over that White rectangular thing in your picture, they get very hot and will damage the wires

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back