confused - Putting up new bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
my first post so be gentle
my girlfriend bought a new light at B&q for the bathroom.
I took down the old light and rose fitting.

The wiring was not what I was expecting, there is 4 wires,all black in colour but with sleeves on them. There is one black wire in the red sleeve - Im guessing live.

There are two wires which were in the neutral socket of the light (I think) . And the earth which is a black wire with a green sleeve over the top of it...

Ive read a few posts on here and I now think that the four wires represent the normal three plus a fourth for the ring circuit for the upstairs lights..

The wires are now hanging out the ceiling and all the lights upstairs are off. I really don't know what to do, I was going to chance my assumption and put two wires in the neutral and the live and earth to the appropriate ports on the light fitting..

Please can somebody tell me what I should do

Thanks
Stu and kelly

Sponsored Links
put two wires in the neutral and the live and earth to the appropriate ports on the light fitting..

sounds good to me..

all black? eep!!!...

MICC lads? but then why 2 nautrals and no lives?

Just to clarify:

1 live
1 earth
2 wires in neutral

Is this good?
Thanks
Stu

Sponsored Links
The earths are at the back of the box there, the 2 blacks in the white heat proof sleeving are your neutrals and the black with the red is your switched live. As far as i can see the black earth bit is connected to the back of the box with the rest of the earths so shove some green and yellow sleeving on it to avoid confusion.

Do you want a better photograph, i.e. closer?
or is it safe to go with the current setup?

Yup - 3 reds crimped together, on account of a conduit box being used instead of a rose.

You might want to give the reds a good hard tug, as it doesn't look as though that crimp was properly done....

im confused now,,, I will take a picture of the box beneath the wires and post that. gotta switch electric off and on just to get a close up shot.

Looks like the sleeving is heat resistant glass fibre stuff, possibly left over from the old fitting. Probably no bad thing to have in an incandescent fitting with minimal or no ventilation, but the choice of colours leaves something to be desired.

I don't think I've ever seen any yellow/green glass fibre sleeving, but I've never really had much cause to look for any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back