Bathroom fan wire HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please tell me how to wire the fan from the light switch, ive attached the a picture how it is at the minute, im just not sure which one to take it from so that the fan is on and the light is on and also the fan can be tuned off when the light is on, many thanks

Attachments

• 23131513_10159661648910691_92279250_o.jpg
    23131513_10159661648910691_92279250_o.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
You cannot wire it from the switch. There is no neutral there.

As you do not seem to have a timer fan, Connect it up to the light itself.

how would i go about this then? it was all connected up before i took the switch off?

You didn't tell us that! It looked to me like you are trying to add a new fan to a light switch......

SO, basically you are trying to replace an existing switch, is that correct?
Or please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

Post a PHOTO of the wiring in the switch back box. Are there more cables in the back box than the ones in your excellent sketch?

Sponsored Links
how would i go about this then? it was all connected up before i took the switch off?
Then there must be other wires that you haven't told us about.

Either that, or you had very dim lights and a very sluggish fan.

yeah my sketch isnt the best haha, i'll take some pictures tonight, basically its 4 switch light switch in the bedroom, (2 lights in the bedroom, the ensuite light and the fan) i took it off to decorate and was going change it for a nicer looking one, but ive had to put the original, all the the other lights are reconnected fine but ive got lost putting the fan back on

How was the fan switched before?

Did it come on automatically when the light was turned on?

Did it have its own switch but couldn't be turned on unless the light was on?

Could it be turned on and off independently of the light?

Are you sure there were no short wire links at the switch?

Last edited:
I always do and i did this time, but lost my phone that it was on and it wasn't backed up, hence looking for advice on here. but like I say il post a picture how it is later

Good morning, here are the pictures of the light switch cheers

23158005_10159671148390691_2062604358_o 2.jpg
23163863_10159671147450691_362694296_n 2.jpg

How was the fan switched before?

Did it come on automatically when the light was turned on?

Did it have its own switch but couldn't be turned on unless the light was on?

Could it be turned on and off independently of the light?

Are you sure there were no short wire links at the switch?

Hi, the switch on the right is an independent switch for the fan, to be honest i cant remember for sure if it came on automatically with the light, im not fussed if it does i just want to be able to wire it up so it can be turned on and off with the bathroom light either on and off if that is possible, yeah there were some short wires but i couldn't tell you which points they went to and from. Cheers

Hi, the switch on the right is an independent switch for the fan, to be honest i cant remember for sure if it came on automatically with the light,
Pity about that lapse.

yeah there were some short wires but i couldn't tell you which points they went to and from.
So what did you do?

Just not bother to replace them?

well i took it off wanted to put a nicer one on, i didn't wire the fan up as the forth switch on the new one didnt have enough points on it, lost my photos and plans of it now i want to put the old one back one but cant quite figure it out

If there are links missing too, I don't think there is a lot we can do to help without laborious Q&A.

Call an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back