Flow Rate for 10mm plastic pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read the post on Smiths under plinth heaters there was no ref to size of input pipes, I wish to spur off the heating system with plastic 10mm will this support enough flow rate (70gph) I think is what is required. I have a Combi system

Sponsored Links
Can't see a problem with this, 10mm usually will take up to 10,000 btu's.

It all depends on the length of 10 mm tube!

And the rating of the heater!

Because these are such good heaters I would normally fit with 15 mm to ensure they get enough heat input.

I would ask why use 10 mm ??

Tony

because I'm lazy and 10mm is already in situ from the rad I'm changing it with thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
because I'm lazy and 10mm is already in situ from the rad I'm changing it with thanks anyway
So, you're actually sharing the heat capacity of 10mm between the rad (and maybe more than one) and the plinth heater.

I wouldn't use microbore unless it was illegal not to - if the system isn't clean enough it'll block up quicker than you can say "magnetite".

Softus";p="714078 said:
if the system isn't clean enough it'll block up quicker than you can say "magnetite".
I've never known microbore become blocked by corrosion deposits. 15mm pipe on the other hand can become blocked. The reason is that water travels at higher velocities in microbore and is less likely to leave any deposits.

chrishutt said:
I've never known microbore become blocked by corrosion deposits. 15mm pipe on the other hand can become blocked. The reason is that water travels at higher velocities in microbore and is less likely to leave any deposits.
Chris, my comment was meant to be in context - I've seen it happen where a plinth heater, because of the nature of its use, is out of circulation for long periods, and there can be a build up where the supply tees in to the rest of the circuit. I've also seen a plinth heater that seemed to act as a sump for every bit of grunge in the system, and defied attempts to clean it out. And don't forget - the velocity through each rad (and plinth heater) is independent of the water velocity in the supply pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back