Flow Rate for new En-Suite Shower (21mm Pipes)

just to throw a spanner in the works , if you dont have room in the cylinder cupboard for the pump, you can get a wall mounted shower with the pump inside the actual shower as opposed to an external pump

Sponsored Links
Oh guys, apologies I haven't been in touch, we had a family member rushed to hospital and everything got put on hold

@terryplumb
@Nigel R
@ianmcd

The mrs cranky boss refuses to consider an electric shower, I was looking at this, and recess the plastic back:

The answer just isn't repeatable, I even learnt some new naughty words (this was pre watershed too!). I had to cover the dog's ears for heavens sake, he's only a Shih Tzu too (same as a zoo with one animal).

The boss doesn't like the designs of any of the electric showers.

The fun we've had, we've had shouting, arguing, pleading, ordered a new car, finally ordered bathroom tiles, the dog expressed an opinion, lots of catalogue flipping, huffing, puffing, even went for a walk and picked wild blackberries. Discussed life and then, just maybe, we may have a solution?

What do we think about an "instant heater" thing in the loft like these:

It'll give her the hot water she desires to summon her God Poseidon or Goddess Tefnut, easy to install (already got the wiring from the previous 9.8kw leccy shower up there) and the water box is right beside it?

just to throw a spanner in the works , if you dont have room in the cylinder cupboard for the pump, you can get a wall mounted shower with the pump inside the actual shower as opposed to an external pump
One of these would be a neat choice, up to 14LPM (power shower performance) it has its own integral pump, just supply it with gravity fed hot&cold water. A 9.5kw electric shower will give ~ 4LPM in winter & ~ 5.5LPM in summer.

The UK version has a different name but essentially the same.

Not sure exactly what you are expecting to achieve ?
My understanding was you want a nice fancy looking shower valve ,maybe with a fixed head " rainfall" type shower head ,and a strong flow of water coming out. If that's so ,you will not get that from any instantaneous electric water heater.

Sponsored Links
Good news - we are ordering this!

Looked at it in B&Q, nice and small. Will use existing connections from the loft

Measured flow rate on the old pipework this morning, cold- 10ltrs/min and hot - 6ltrs/min

You will get 4.7LPM in winter at a showering temperature of 40C from mains at 7C and 6.2LPM in summer assuming mains at 15C.
Also require new? 10MM2 cable.

You need to check the existing circuit ,that supplied the old electric shower, it may need to be upgraded in order to run a 10.8 kw shower ( thicker cable / breaker etc)

You need to check the existing circuit ,that supplied the old electric shower, it may need to be upgraded in order to run a 10.8 kw shower ( thicker cable / breaker etc)

Good question! I actually forgot about that (which is incredibly bad) as it's usually the first thing I check

Been up in the loft, discovered we have little furry visitors up there. Got that sorted.

Thick grey cable, measuring the outside, 99.99% confident it's 10mm. Printed on the cable shows:

BASEC TO BS 6004 G242 YR 2 x 10 +4 SQMM

Following this, (it's just resting on top of the insulation & joists) It's hitting the consumer unit. Single mcb:

SQUARE D QOE B40 5000 IEC 60898

Assuming that's 40amps there.

Consumer unit is an old Wylex 7 way.

Working out the 10.8kw / 240 volts = 45 amps, so looks like we'll go to the lower 9kw one instead (my wallet likes that). I'm 50/50 about replacing an mcb in a consumer unit

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back