flu fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if you had two 18 watt flu lamps and an 40 watt ballast and wired the two 18 watt lamps in paralel would the lamps burn out quickly

should you wire the two lamps up in series ??

Sponsored Links
has this thread and my other threads been moved to this forum because i was asking it to a uk audience

or am i just going mad

i presume you posted origonaly in uk electrics, different countries differnt codes of practice / regualtions, if a non uk elctric question was left and replied to in the uk electrics it may get miss understood and connected wrongly acording to uk regs, and vice versa.

Bussie, first a couple of questions for you to answer.

Please state the type of 18W lamp you have, are they compact lamps, 600mm standard lamps?

Secondly, if they are compact how do they connect to the base? E27 Screw, B22 Bayonet, 2Pin TL-C, 4 Pin TL-C (These can be TL-D's as well), 2 Pin U lamps or 4 Pin U lamps?

What is the manufacturer of the control gear? Model number etc.

The reason for this is that different lamps connect differently and different manufacturers use different connection methods depending on the lamp type, rating and type of control gear, standard, Hi Frequency, Hi Pot Ballast or Emergency

Sponsored Links
i was asking the question under uk wiring and standards i am living in australia but posted in the uk electrics forum because this is were i wanted my question answerd

all i wanted to know was if you had a standard double flu fitting and using the old style control gear eg ballast starter and cap if you had a 40watt ballast and wired the two lamps in parrallel as the lamps are 18 watts and the ballast was 40 watts would the lamps burn out quickly

trying to find out wheather the lamps should be wired in series ???

Can't help but notice that the type of questions you keep posting are reminiscent of those we used to get in our OND exam papers. Are you just checking out the experts in this forum?

doubt it, not unless you are in Australia, one of his pots mentioned that is his location

Yep I am in Australia and have to do a test to gain my electrical licence
I did and 4 hour practical exam and this was one of the testsi had to do
I wired up the lamps in parallel and was told that this was wrong

As I am a young person under 30 hehehe I use mostly electronic ballasts not the old choke and ballasts and dont normally wire up a flu fitting from scratch so i was asking the older people in this forum for some advice

I don’t think the question matters were you are in the world same principal

all my other posts are about the same test so that is y they are on the same kinda lines

just needed a bit of help thats all

Sponsored Links
Back