Pond uvc filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to rectify an issue with my mums uv filter. It is a kockney koi 25 yamitsu. A popular brand.

Recently i bought two lamps for it (a years worth). It takes 25 watt t8 lamps. It isnt possible to fit any other lamp, it wouldnt physically fit.

Neither lamp ended up working. One end cap came off one. The other appears fine (you can see the filaments intact as the lamp is clear) but wont light. I am wondering if its a dodgy batch of lamps. I have ordered another.

Something occurs to me though. On the outside of the unit it states input 16 watts.

I opened it up and looked at the ballast. Its an electronic ballast. See attached picture. None of the t8 wattages listed match 25w. Could this be the issue? Or could it have been affected by faulty lamps?

I've ordered a new digital ballast too. I'm trying everything. The water is getting cloudy with the warm weather. Any clues?

Attachments

• 20170613_163518.jpg
    20170613_163518.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20170613_164116.jpg
    20170613_164116.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
Neither lamp ended up working. One end cap came off one. The other appears fine (you can see the filaments intact as the lamp is clear) but wont light. I am wondering if its a dodgy batch of lamps. I have ordered another.
Where did you buy the first two? Are you buying the replacement from the same place?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am intriqued how do you do that please
Your ballast is not exactly the same as mine, but if you connect it to the mains (the input on the right in your picture) you can check whether there is any output on the left side of the ballast.
Mine didn't have any output.

Of course, unless you're happy working with live electrical cables, get an electrician to do it. It would take about five minutes!

Your ballast is not exactly the same as mine, but if you connect it to the mains (the input on the right in your picture) you can check whether there is any output on the left side of the ballast.
Mine didn't have any output.

Of course, unless you're happy working with live electrical cables, get an electrician to do it. It would take about five minutes!
Ok thanks, if it had been ok and had an output, not sure if it would have damaged your meter, they output 20000Hz

Ok thanks, if it had been ok and had an output, not sure if it would have damaged your meter, they output 20000Hz
Why should it damage the meter?
It is likely to not indicate the correct voltage but no damage.

Where did you buy the first two? Are you buying the replacement from the same place?
Its certainly a different retailer.

I won't be sticking my cheap meter across the ballast. Something is telling me an electronic ballast won't actually put out a voltage unless theres a lamp there.

Until last year they had an 8 watt unit with a magnetic choke and starter. The choke had gone rusty but it still worked. Only reason they changed it was it wasnt big enough. They changed it for a PLL fitting which also failed then I got them this one. Were having no look with it.

Meanwhile the pump has been running for approx 12-15 years near continuously. That'll pack up next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back