Ballast rating vs lamp rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a UV filter for my pond which takes a 55W 1200mm lamp. Unfortunately the ballast has burnt out and failed shorted to earth.

Ballasts for 1500mm 58W tubes are readily available and cheap. Will the additional 3W rating cause an issue or do I need to try and source a 55W ballast?

Sponsored Links
With a wire wound ballast I have found although they may work when the voltage or wattage is not correct when you measure the power used they either take more or less than the design current and the tube life is reduced.

With a HF electronic ballast there is often a range rather than a single wattage and with these lamp life is longer. One 18W lamp at the top of my stairs lasted nearly 20 years before I had to change tube which was second hand to start with.

As to UV tubes I know with some special ballasts are used I would be wary of using the wrong one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back