flue gas analyser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where does anyone get their flue gas analyser (Kane 250) calibrated. Kings Lynn Norfolk area. The analyser has stopped reading CO2, will being calibrated sort this problem?

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but it is my suspicion that all these people "callibrating" our equipment do nothing to it. That is they measure it's performance against a standard. I bet my bottom dollar they have no way to or knowledge of how to adjust it. The whole callibration industry is yet another leach sucking our blood.

If it needs repairing which it does send it for repair. If you send it for callibration you will pay for callibration and receive it back with a failure certificate.

If I were sending a Kane for repair i would send it to Kane.

If it's stopped working, it needs a new sensor.
They do drift, and recalibration puts that right. The one I've seen inside was certainly adjustable
GES are very good but Kane won't let anyone "do" their newer models such as yours. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but it is my suspicion that all these people "callibrating" our equipment do nothing to it. That is they measure it's performance against a standard. I bet my bottom dollar they have no way to or knowledge of how to adjust it. The whole callibration industry is yet another leach sucking our blood.

If it needs repairing which it does send it for repair. If you send it for callibration you will pay for callibration and receive it back with a failure certificate.

If I were sending a Kane for repair i would send it to Kane.

Paul, I am concerned by your comments, who carries out the servicing and recalibration of you instrument?

All instruments used for gas testing and flue gas analysers are safety instruments and must be repaired, serviced and recalibrated by authorized service centres or the manufaturers. If you are using a company that just checks against a standard and have no knowledge of how to adust, I would question why are you using these companies.

GES, (Gas & Environmental Services Ltd), are a fully trained authorized service centre for many of the gas industry equipment manufacturers. Calibration of your instruments is not a process of " That is they measure it's performance against a standard". I have worked within the gas industry for over 33 years. 20 years at the gas detector service centre at British Gas and 13 at GES. I have attended many training courses on the servicing and calibration of gas related instruments, have full support from the manufacturers, get training updates, technical bulletins, supplied with the original manufacturers parts, advise and assist the manufacturers on software calibration procedures and feed back on potential problems and modifications required.

For one manufacture, we are one of the very few allowed to work on their instruments.

So that the manufacturers have full control over their authorized service companies, the calibration is now carried out by software. This needs to be activated every 12 months. We are audited by the manufacture so we can keep our status and then given the security code for the following year.

On the latest generation of flue gas analysers, such as the Kane and Sprint V2, the next calibration due date is programmed on to your instrument, this can only be reset by the calibration software once the full calibration process has been performed and the adjustment made.

If you would like to visit my workshop Paul, I am willing to show you the process, but please bring your bottom dollar and I quote "I bet my bottom dollar they have no way to or knowledge of how to adjust it. "

When sending your instruments away for calibration, if you are unsure about the company you use, just ask to see their training records and certificates.

As said previously mentioned, gas instruments such as gas detectors and flue gas analysers are safety instruments and if the calibration is not correct, it is the calibration company who you will final go to if something goes wrong. We check all instruments again the following day to ensure the calibration is still correct before we issue a certificate and return the instrument back to the customer.

If we are sent an instrument that we are not authorised to work on, it is sent to the manufacture for servicing/ repair and recalibration. If we don't know how to do it, we won't.

As a user of G&ES and having visited there workshop and had a tour around by Kevin, I can vouch for the above post, not that I understood all the technical bits, but the evidence was certainly there that they carry out authorised and quality repairs/calibrations.

My Sprint will be winging its way to them next month. I would no longer consider using anyone else for this service ;)

Thank you Dave, Tim and many many other have been to my workshop and as far as I know, they will continue to have their instrument serviced by GES.

I would also like to say that some of the big FGA manufacturers use my company and follow the same "if we can't do it send to someone who can" policy.

Paul, I am concerned by your comments, who carries out the servicing and recalibration of you instrument?

I used to send my Kanes to the company who sold them to me. I wouldn't want to name them. But in future were I to need my own analyser I would likely use you.

My telegan is British Gases responsibility.

i actually like the BG telegan over the kanes I used to have.

Best feature is that the performance analysis and pressure are on the same screen. Seting up Alpha CO2 I had to keep switching my Kane from one function to the other. some guys had two meters. You very quickly run out of time seting up a regular boiler as you can't run it in engineers mode for more than a few minutes since the system can't dump the heat and the o/h protection cuts the burner before you are finished. So an analyser which shows all data at once is worth it's weight in gold.

People who design the functionality of most meters have clearly never set up co2 on an Alpha. going to corgi inspectors for advise when designing your analyser emsures a machine which isn't much use to people who work in the real world.

the sprint v2 is overrated.

i want to smash it into pieces everyday. it beeps constantly and covers the display with a warning when it is low on charge but will last for more than a week on low charge, why cant it remind you just once then shut the hell up?

it often has no idea if it is being used for positive or negative gas pressures and will flash up a warning saying you need to change the test tube to the other port, when you do it flashes up the same warning with that ultra annoying trill. when you cancel this warning it again covers the readings with a warning within 10 seconds and trills again and again and again. what is the need for this warning? quite a few boilers start at 0mb then go to negative due to fan pressure then positve due to gas pressure, why can't they sort out the software so it ignores this? its not like i cant see the negative sign in front of the reading :rolleyes: its highly irritating when you are trying to set up a boilers bp.

add to that the ludicrous size of the gas detector and its a pain in the arse to use IMO.

Just a reminder, as Tim has gone to sleep, that Kevin at GES will give ARGI members a discount !

Another benefit of ARGI membership.

Tony

You wont belive this but some ignorant young bloke in a private hire car has just woken me up by tooting his hooter rather than getting off his rear end and knocking on the door of the house he was calling at.

As I got to bed late and am getting up early I was not pleased.

As Tony correctly G&ES do give discount to ARGI members and the service they give is first rate.

I am sure the design team who brought about theV2 will be disapointed at nickso,s impressions of the V2, personally I prefer the V2 to the previous model the 2000.
If nockso is self employed and buys his own FGA he would benifit from taking a trip to Welwyn Garden City where the staff would probably be able to adjust his V" or demonstrate other models that may be more suitable for his needs.

I really have been woken up by a tooter, the idle twit.
I found it very hard not to wish that his boiler goes wrong at Christmas and that the very intoxicated younge lady who got into his car does not throw up all over the back of his head.

Tim

PS, Hows things Paul, you are probably right about loads of calibration companies in that they give the FGA,a a quick test and then send it off to G&ES for a proper going over and then stick ona handling charge for doing it.

PPS I have an inverter that plugs into a fag lighter in my van which I use for topping up all my battery stuff.

PPPS Well I am wide awake now so may as well share this one with you all :)
As the days get colder its a good idea not to leave your FGA ina cold van over night as condensation may shorten its life.

i want to smash it into pieces everyday. it beeps constantly and covers the display with a warning when it is low on charge but will last for more than a week on low charge, why cant it remind you just once then shut the hell up?

it often has no idea if it is being used for positive or negative gas pressures and will flash up a warning saying you need to change the test tube to the other port, when you do it flashes up the same warning with that ultra annoying trill. when you cancel this warning it again covers the readings with a warning within 10 seconds and trills again and again and again. what is the need for this warning? quite a few boilers start at 0mb then go to negative due to fan pressure then positve due to gas pressure, why can't they sort out the software so it ignores this? its not like i cant see the negative sign in front of the reading :rolleyes: its highly irritating when you are trying to set up a boilers bp.

add to that the ludicrous size of the gas detector and its a pain in the a**e to use IMO.

I have to admit you are bang on about all these points. In my defence

1/The batery warning doesn't affect me as my sprint 3 unit is new battery lasts 3 days before warnings.

2/ the pressure warning is a right pita the thing that I find anoying about it is that it allerts the ignorant who then think you are doing something wrong or their boiler is, neither of which is the case but combine the average technical acumen of modern day boiler owner, with enlarged suspicion profile due to biased melodramatic TV voyerism the only "competent person" in the room has eyes like daggers pointed at him to distract him from his highly skilled and worthwhile work. all because Telegan can't sort out their alarming system properly.

But it still cains the kane.

But i have a bitter memory of kanes costing me fortunes and lasting a day longer than the guarantee, two times in my short history in this job.

The flue gas analyser is perhaps the individual item with the most disproportionate tax on our earnings.

Now when I go to my garage if my car does something odd he mechanic plugs it into his computer and then gives me a bill for the use of the computer of £35. If we did the same it would no longe be a tax on us.

So we should charge our hourly rate, and parts with handling /stocking perishing losses built in, and when used £35 for use of analyser.

Then I might start speaking positively about them.

while they are a tax on me, I am bitter that the manufacturers haven't given me quality reliability useability and achievable costs.

add to that the ludicrous size of the gas detector and its a pain in the a**e to use IMO.

Just how big is your gas detector? Is it the feathery yellow one that carps all over the dash board?

Tim

Just how big is your gas detector? Is it the feathery yellow one that carps all over the dash board?

Tim

a small canary would be a vast improvement over the unweildy blue doofer i currenty have to detect gas leaks. im certain there is a reason for changing it from the previous 2000 which simply used the FG probe but the new one makes it difficult to get to small areas, probably efficiency of detection is a the reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back