flue heat scavenger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Long-term reader and, first-time poster. Let me start by saying I have no intention of doing this (I'm far from qualified) but I saw an interesting part, and wondered how it might theoretically work safely.

I've seen this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39275410...bHMJgeaga5U2Ud28-skk6sGGCOwQK9-IaAj6eEALw_wcB - which seems to be a simple coil heat exchanger to go into the top of a wood or coal burning stove.

I'm presuming the intent is to connect this device to a closed-loop primary heating circuit, but I'm wondering how that could be done safely, if the circuit runs at ~ 1.6bar, and the heat source is theoretically uncontrolled (although, I'd assume wouldn't ever be more than a couple hundred degrees C. In my head, there's a risk of water passing though this device flash boiling, and then the extra pressure needing to go somewhere, but at the same time, if there was a constant flow of water through it, the risk is low. Would a conventional PRV or expansion vessel in-line be enough to make it safe?

look forward to hearing your thoughts!

BW

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back