Dust vacuum in Lidl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the local Lidl they have dust vacuum cleaner for doing really dirty/dusty jobs like the chimney/hearth area after sweeping chimney etc.

I cant find it on the web page to show it, but here is something similar on ebay

My question is - would this also work as a dust extractor to use in a workshop doing some machine wood work?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
In the local Lidl they have dust vacuum cleaner for doing really dirty/dusty jobs like the chimney/hearth area after sweeping chimney etc.

I cant find it on the web page to show it, but here is something similar on ebay

My question is - would this also work as a dust extractor to use in a workshop doing some machine wood work?
Would work for light use.I use an old Henry vacuum in workshop .

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I use an Aldi wet and dry with power take off.
This means the vacuum starts with tool use and runs on for 5-10 seconds.
I can put HEPA filters in and it's great

Aldi have one at the moment but without the take off.
But Screwfix do have one
£75 or so

My Aldi (scheepach?) one works great on a sander

I think the two obstacles you may experience are inadequate filtration and inadequate capacity.

I used to have a Goblin ShopVac which worked well for ordinary vacuuming, but which sucked stuff up and blew it straight out the back when sanding MDF or plaster. These days I'd probably either get better (HEPA) filters for it or build a pre-filter cyclone unit to take the fine stuff out. If yours ready has HEPA filters then happy days

18 litres is a bit small for woodworking - furtunately the only thing that means is that you'll need to empty the unit more often

One thing about soot is that is a actually quite sticky. What that means it will clog-up filters, even the washable ones. I've ruined a few sets of filters with the stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Mine has a cartridge filter, but I mostly put a paper or white synthetic bag in as well to delay clogging. I keep a spare cartridge handy to swap.

30 litre nominal holds a lot.

In a workshop you can run plastic waste pipe to your main tool positions and tuck the vac in a corner or even outside.

I think the two obstacles you may experience are inadequate filtration and inadequate capacity.

I used to have a Goblin ShopVac which worked well for ordinary vacuuming, but which sucked stuff up and blew it straight out the back when sanding MDF or plaster. These days I'd probably either get better (HEPA) filters for it or build a pre-filter cyclone unit to take the fine stuff out. If yours ready has HEPA filters then happy days

18 litres is a bit small for woodworking - furtunately the only thing that means is that you'll need to empty the unit more often

One thing about soot is that is a actually quite sticky. What that means it will clog-up filters, even the washable ones. I've ruined a few sets of filters with the stuff

Cheers for that info. Yes, I have seen those traffic cone type homemade cyclone filters on YouTube and wondered if a DIY solution might work in connection with a vacuum.

Mine has a cartridge filter, but I mostly put a paper or white synthetic bag in as well to delay clogging. I keep a spare cartridge handy to swap.

30 litre nominal holds a lot.

In a workshop you can run plastic waste pipe to your main tool positions and tuck the vac in a corner or even outside.
Thanks for that tip - handy to know

Power take off.

ie the tool can switch the vacuum on automatically

like this one for example

not all models have it

especially handy if you are using an extended hose, or plumbing pipe, and can put the vac outside. that means it is not blowing the dust around your working area.

Cheers for that info. Yes, I have seen those traffic cone type homemade cyclone filters on YouTube and wondered if a DIY solution might work in connection with a vacuum.

Cyclonic pre filters will only only separate large particles from small particles. The large stuff will fall in to a bag, the nasty stuff will be too light to end up there and will move in to the main bag.

During lock down, I did mock up a set up but most of my dust is very fine. All of the fine dust was sucked to the top of the cyclone and straight in to the dust extractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back