Working with Exotic Woods and dealing with dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I'm starting to wood work making drums and kits. I am working with a lot of exotic woods at the moment and have a few questions. I am using dust masks and respirators but am wondering about dust extractors. Is it better to just work inside my workshop, sanding and routing and then try to get all the wood and dust with an extractor or to sand and route outside. Problem is, outside is our garden and I don't want to be kicking the dust up again, especially with a child on the way... Also got a driveway so could sweep it all up... Not sure what to do? I was thinking containing was the best idea and just resign to the fact that everytime I venture into the workshop, I have to wear a dust mask...

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Screwfix 61318...these dust extractors are portable and efficient - in fact I have installed a few of these in schools.
They are reasonably quiet, and capable of collecting noxious dusts such as MDF.
They are powerful enough to cover 2 or 3 machines, either fixed or portable. Single phase, too!
John :)

Thats the same sort of thing....even if it doesn't connect to any particular machine, the volume of air that it can shift will make the environment much more wholesome.
John :)

Sponsored Links
That's quite a list!

Well I'm going to order the dust extractor and always wear a dust mask or respirator in the workshop. Didn't realise how bad wood was for you in some instances! Glad I found out after less than a year rather then 20 years down the line...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

When your works gets bigger, Google "Moldow". they are the Bees Knees in dust extraction. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back