Flue liner size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having some chimney work done so want to fit a flue liner while the scaffold is up.

What determines the size of the liner, is it the specific stove (which we don't have yet) or the internal size of the chimney?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Bit of both, but stove is most important. Most are 6", you are allowed to go bigger but not smaller

Find the stove you want first; and read the stove fitters manual for a bit more info. Most chimneys will take a 6" liner (get a 902) but a 5" will fit a lot easier, but then require more insulation to fill the chimney void, but you'll need to take the chimney pot off to do the job properly if you add the insulation.

Sponsored Links
The chimney is off now so the liner will need to go in ASAP.

We might never get a burner, it's just something we fancy.

Much as hard wood is better, I reckon you'll have enough offcuts on site to keep you going for quite some time. They're good for cool evenings, or when you can't quite justify the heating on.

You might find that you struggle to get a stove fitter willing to connect to a liner he hasn't installed, as he becomes responsible for it once he does so. How does he know it went down smoothly and isn't ripped half way down? How does he know it'sthe correct type, installed the right way up?

This is Ian we're talking about, he'll work out what to do, and fit it himself. And he'll just come back on here for any questions if he's not sure.

Great answer for the great unwashed, but have some faith in him Muggles.

I guess I could CCTV it?

We decided we might as well get the stove now so are going looking at some over the weekend.

Why do you need to CCTV it.

If you're dropping a liner down the chimney, then it just needs sweeping. You'll need a closure plate and bits and pieces, and putting in the stove now, means that everything is taken care of whilst the building work in going on.

CCTV to check it hasn't ripped.

My missus has swept it and removed a couple of buckets of crap. We are going to go to a place called Premier Gas in Burnley to see what they have.

If you do the job now, then you won't have the hassle of arguing with a fitter later. As to the liner, one pushes from the top, and the other pulls gently from the bottom, and it shouldn't rip.

Once you've been to the showroom, then have a look on eBay, and see if you can pick up any bargains. There isn't a lot to go wrong with a stove, and you can replace any faulty bits quite easily, and save half the cost into the bargain.

I got a Flavel Defra approved stove today. It had a 5" outlet but when I tried to buy a flue liner the guy recommended I get a Hetas guy to have a look first. Also mentioned home insurance.

He said people don't always need a flue liner and that soot from a multifuel burner can damage a liner unless very clean wood is burnt. I'd be wanting to burn all sorts off wood, paper and cardboard.

You should only burn dry (less than 20% moisture), seasoned wood regardless of whether you have a liner or not. Wood which is damp, or has been treated, should not be burned under any circumstances as it creates sulphuric acid and other corrosive substances, which will rot out both a metal liner and the mortar in a brick flue. paper & cardboard are generally ok.

A 5" liner will be fine on a DEFRA stove with a 5" outlet, but your home insurance may not cover you for chimney fires & resultant damage (including total loss) if the whole installation is not carried out and signed off by someone with the correct qualifications

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back