Cracked Chimney flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a chimney fire and the insurance company is dealing with it. Cctv showed a cracked flue just at the turn and the grouting/cement joins between stacks are quite wide. Their solution is to put flexi liner in the chimney and replace our stove.
The guy delivering the new stove has got me worried saying that the flexi lining isn't a solution and that the buildings company from insurers should be taking down and rebuilding chimney (internal chimney two storey house)
My question is, will it be safe to use stove when fitted with flexi liner knowing there is a crack in the flue?

Sponsored Links
Chimney liners are used all the time when the integrity of the flue is unknown.....so long as the correct specification of liner is installed, I can't see any issues there.
It seems one hell of a job to rebuild an internal chimney.....and your insurers seem happy!
John :)

Flue liners are regarded as a repair rather than a permanent solution, this is why they are not permitted to be used in a new build but as burnerman has said they are used where the integrity of the existing flue is unproven or unsatisfactory... Even you masonry chimney has an expected life so if you wished to have the chimney rebuilt, then you would expect to pay a portion of the rebuild costs as you have used the chimney for a period of time...

Sponsored Links
My sis has had both of her chimneys done the Superflue way and it works very well indeed, but even these systems are regarded as a repair and not a permanent solution...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back