Flue liner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please, does anybody out there have an approximate price for lining a terraced house chimney prior to having a multi-fuel stove fitted.
Many thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get a 150mm twin wall liner install, ancillaries & insulation + the stove installed, commissioned & certified (excluding cost of stove & any building work required) by a HETAS registered installer for around £1000. You can download a list of installers in your area from the HETAS web site.

Be aware that installing a stove is notifyable building work which must be tested & comply with several Building Regulations if you do not use a HETAS installer.

You should be able to get a 1500 twin wall liner install, ancillaries & insulation + the stove installed, commissioned & certified (excluding cost of stove & any building work required) by a HETAS registered installer for around £1000. You can download a list of installers in your area from the HETAS web site.

Be aware that installing a stove is notifyable building work which must be tested & comply with several Building Regulations if you do not use a HETAS installer.

Many thanks Richard for your valuable info especially the building regs part.

Bill

Sponsored Links
have to say thats a rip off

sorry
I was erring on the safe side but you can get ripped off a lot more that thay my friend :rolleyes: . Quotes I had ranged from £650 to a wallet busting £1500 from a stove shop. The independant guy I used quoted £830 all in, had a erious problem with the old flue resulting in considerably more work but never charged any more.

He will sweep chimney, install insulated liner and install stove, all for £600, how does that sound?
I always get at least 3 quotes for any work, either for myself or work being done on behalf of others. I rarely pick the cheapest as there are often reasons why they are the cheapest but choosing the most expensive won’t necessarily guarantee a good job either. It’s all about how receptive & knowledgeable any trade appears & how they respond to me as a result of honest questioning. When you consider the cost of a decent liner, insulation, register plate, cowl, ancillary fittings, notice plate etc & then factor in the time taken to fit the lot, test & commissioning the stove sounds a bit cheap to me; just be careful you’re getting what you think you are. ;)

He will sweep chimney, install insulated liner and install stove, all for £600, how does that sound?
I always get at least 3 quotes for any work, either for myself or work being done on behalf of others. I rarely pick the cheapest as there are often reasons why they are the cheapest but choosing the most expensive won’t necessarily guarantee a good job either. It’s all about how receptive & knowledgeable any trade appears & how they respond to me as a result of honest questioning. When you consider the cost of a decent liner, insulation, register plate, cowl, ancillary fittings, notice plate etc & then factor in the time taken to fit the lot, test & commissioning the stove sounds a bit cheap to me; just be careful you’re getting what you think you are. ;)

I've just found out the guy who gave him the £600 quote is only at the application stage with Heatas, EVEN THOUGH HE WEARS THE TEE-SHIRT and has a phoney emblem in yellow pages. He will now get 3 quotes.
Thanks
Bill

I've just found out the guy who gave him the £600 quote is only at the application stage with Heatas, EVEN THOUGH HE WEARS THE TEE-SHIRT and has a phoney emblem in yellow pages. He will now get 3 quotes.
If he's not fully HETAS registered, he cant issue you with the certificate of compliance you will need in the future, make sure you get one!

Rather than use Yellow Pages, download a list of registered installers in your area from here;
http://www.hetas.co.uk/nearest_member
Select those that work independently & not affiliated to a stove shop.

If he's not fully HETAS registered, he cant issue you with the certificate of compliance you will need in the future, make sure you get one!

Rather than use Yellow Pages, download a list of registered installers in your area from here;
http://www.hetas.co.uk/nearest_member
Select those that work independently & not affiliated to a stove shop.

Thanks Richard,
I phoned Heatas, they said he had applied, but as yet his application has not been completed, and that he cannot issue certs, yet he told my lad that he can issue certs, crazy how the get away with it.
Thanks again

Bill

I phoned Heatas, they said he had applied, but as yet his application has not been completed, and that he cannot issue certs, yet he told my lad that he can issue certs, crazy how the get away with it.
They only get away with it cos they are allowed to; he’s obviously a lying brastard up to no good at all. Personally I would complain in writing to HETAS & demand an explanation if someone who is clearly not registered & misleading the public can warrant being registered at all; I’d do all I could to get the little shrite barred altogether.

But as HETAS, along with every other single one of the registered trade organisations, rely on fees to keep them in existence, I can’t imagine that will ever happen; IMO the whole lot of them are a disgraceful forkin shambles with NHBC at the top of the pile!

Sorry, bit of a rant there but this sort of stuff really annoys me. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back