Flue position on next door house - is it dangerous?

If i was you and you can access the meter, in the meantime i would turn it off in case its been left on a timer.

Sponsored Links
Plumber :rolleyes:
Do I see a new hopper with 2 wastes going into it :LOL:

What lies within the house :LOL:

Thanks everyone. Struggling with this one a bit today.

Estate agent refusing to talk to me. Gas Safe say they can probably arrange an inspection but will need access to the property, and need to write to the builder first to 'offer them an inspection' and so need details of the builder/owner. I have no details of the builder/owner, and as mentioned, the estate agent isn't playing ball.

Just tried Transco (well National Grid as it now seems to be) via their gas safety line - advertised as being able to assist with not only gas leaks, but also any aspect of gas safety, and they say they can't do anything unless there is a gas escape, and say to speak to my local Council or the builder about it, and put the phone down!

Is there no-one with any sort of statutory responsibility to look into these things, or are they all playing off each other? Heaven forbid someone wants to keep their family safe! Unreal.

Plumber :rolleyes: Do I see a new hopper with 2 wastes going into it :LOL: What lies within the house :LOL:

Yep, that is a new hopper with a couple of wastes from the new bathroom stuck in the top. Pipes are bent into the hopper, no clips to wall etc, half of the pipe joints are in white and the rest in black, p*** poor job all round. Probably the same cowboy that put the boiler in.

Sponsored Links
Just phone Transco mate and report a smell of gas and keep doing that until someone does something.

if ya cant get in touch with anyone or they refuse to act, phone transco and say ya co alarm went off. they will most likely turn the gas off before it enters the property if they cant gain access :LOL:

Do as Gaz said. Emergency number is 0800111999. They will be out within an hour.

Thanks guys. Seems slightly underhand to suggest a CO or gas escape, because when the engineer comes it will be clear that the house is unoccupied and the boiler not on! But, it's probably less underhand than the sheister who did the work next door!

get a 14lb lump hammer and flatten the thing as its obstructing you from getting something big down the alley (make your own descision as to what the big object is).
It should not be there. It will kill you.

If you have any queries relating to domestic gas safety your first point of contact should be HSE's Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363. They will be able to direct your question to the most appropriate source of expertise from within the HSE. They are open 8am-8pm Monday- Friday and 10am-4pm on a Saturday.

Tell them about the ginnel, tell them it was a recent install, offer to send them a picture, tell them what Gas Safe and the Grid said. Ask for a local HSE gas inspector to visit as you aren't getting joy from Gas Safe/Grid. Point them in the direction of the estate agent.

But whatever you do, don't give up!

Ring your local Building Control too.

It might not be a bad idea to put your concerns in writing to the estate agent and send it recorded delivery.

Thanks guys. Seems slightly underhand to suggest a CO or gas escape, because when the engineer comes it will be clear that the house is unoccupied and the boiler not on! But, it's probably less underhand than the sheister who did the work next door!

What's more important, your family's safety or your morals?

I know what I would do and the guy's advice re the lump hammer above is probably the best advice in the thread.

BTW, the Transco guy won't give an eff mate he'll just turn it off.

Is the entry way always open,kids round our way are always filling things with expanding foam. ;)

Is the entry way always open,kids round our way are always filling things with expanding foam. ;)

Like your style! Unfortunately it's locked both ends.

Would the boiler fail to operate if the flue was blocked, or would the fumes get pushed back into the property?

get a 14lb lump hammer and flatten the thing as its obstructing you from getting something big down the alley (make your own descision as to what the big object is).
It should not be there. It will kill you.

of course if it had a flue terminal guard fitted (as it looks to be less than 2000mm from groundlevel) it would be difficult to, ahem, accidently flatten it.

I would suggest to the OP, 1) email the picture to Gas Safe, 2) button-hole the estate agency rep who is next seen showing potential purchasers the property and let them know just what you have learnt from the Gas Installers here/behave like an unreasonable neighbour and frighten them off as purchasers, the agency will then have to act/post large notices thro' letterbox to warn off potential purchasers that this is an ID install.

just a few thoughts

DH

Thanks dreadnoughtheating, it is less than 2000mm off the ground. The bottom of it is 1950mm. I don't think there is actually the room to get it 2000mm+ off the ground - funny that!

As for your advice, I've already emailed the photo to Gas Safe in support of my phone conversation with them, but they still would only offer an inspection to the builder should I be able to get them some details, and the builder can just ignore them apparently!

I will be trying the estate agent again tomorrow, but button-holing can be tough as my wife and I both work so we're rarely here during the day. Probably need to go an make a nuisance of myself in their office. I will also be speaking to the HSE as proposed here.

Thanks again all - I just want the bloody thing removing before I get new neighbours and have to start hassling them the moment they arrive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back