Flue position on next door house - is it dangerous?

It's a Bloody sad world that only investigates disgraceful installs AFTER someone has died??? it really P***es me off that we (RGI's) are constantly asked to snitch on Dodgy installers only for NO ACTION to be taken ---we might as well all stop paying for Gas Safe, Oftec, Iop it seems there's nothing any of them can do about it,,unless somebody dies, BUT answer this, if somebody dies as a result of a RGI's actions does his Gas Safe Card act as a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD? no I thought not :rolleyes: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Boilerman 2 is absolutely right all of these dimwit's only get involved after the event you cannot have a sensible conversation with them they are devoid of common sense !! sad as it is
As far as I can see O.P you may end up having to take some action against your new neighbour in some way as soon as the boiler is put into use , they would have legal recourse against the estate agent ect BUT
most important notify the estate agent ect in writing you MUST have written comfirmation of your action's in these case's verbal is not good enough !!!

I'm pretty well disgusted. Between the HSE, Gas Safe and the Grid, someone should have been able to help you.

Looking at the flow chart for assessing the risks for flues in covered passageways, they suggest that if a gas engineer isn't performing work at the property then they can leave an information card at the property about flues in passageways. Don't know how much joy you'd get out of this, but perhaps it's worth paying an engineer to 'card' this property and drop one with the estate agent.

Failing any success, please ensure your son's room is equipped with an audible CO detector. If were my home, every time that boiler was turned on, I'd be calling the Grid with a report of fumes.

I'm pretty well disgusted. Between the HSE, Gas Safe and the Grid, someone should have been able to help you.

Failing any success, please ensure your son's room is equipped with an audible CO detector. If were my home, every time that boiler was turned on, I'd be calling the Grid with a report of fumes.

My thoughts exactly, none of them want to get involved, but they're always bleating on about being safe with gas. Then when someone actually does the right thing and tries to tell them about something unsafe, they're really not bothered.

I have now moved the audible CO detector that was in the lounge near our fire/back boiler into my son's room for the time being. Cheers

Sponsored Links
The following may prove useful ' Gas Safety Installation & use reg's 1998'

State's Reg 26 (1) No person shall install a gas appliance unless it can be used without constituting a danger to any person !

Reg 20 (5) No person carrying out the installation of a gas appliance shall leave it connected ton the gas supply unless (a) the appliance can be used safely

Reg 27 (5) no person shall install a flue other than in a safe postion .

Reg 34 (1) The responsible person for any premise's shall not use a gas appliance or permit a gas appliance to be used if at any time he/she knows or have reason to suspect that it cannot be used without constituting a danger to any person !

As I see it all of these regs will come into play as & when the appliance is put into use , at the moment it is not ! Stupid queestion maybe but do you know if the boiler has been used ?? have you seen or heard it running ?

Stupid queestion maybe but do you know if the boiler has been used ?? have you seen or heard it running ?

Thanks for the regulations, could be really useful when I write letters.

As for the boiler, I have to assume they've tested it, but haven't seen it happen, and as far as I know it isn't running now as the house is unoccupied and it's warm weather so wouldn't come on for a frost setting etc.

Not that it makes any difference but I think that's a water heater not a boiler. Main medway, or whatever they're called now.

Best suggestion is the hose pipe, it's all well and good being nice to people but what if there is a fatality. A properly installed new boiler and some wet vaccuming of a carpet are a small price to pay.

I think your next course of action is to involve the local (or even better the national) press. There will be some spotty kid who will be over the moon to write up on this story of how the HSE, Gas Safe and Transco will, although they bang on about it at every oppertunity, will do nothing to prevent a potentially life threatening situation which breaches a raft of gas regulations.
This really is a total disgrace.
They won't like the publicity and will react.
Do NOT drop this. ;)

Well it's all looking par for the course that this shiitthole country again with mountains of rules regulations and laws nobody gives a flying fuk, and there is me facing my exams all over again for the 5th time, should I bother..........

An Estate Agent style board for your own front garden...?

image001l.gif

Please try again with Gas Safe.

They have been forewarned.

This work is a criminal offence.

Gas Safe phone number is 0800 408 5500

PLEASE PHONE THEM NOW!

OP,

Do you know any RGI's yourself or one that could be recommended by family.

If you did, get them to make an appointment with the agent to have a viewing. Once inside they coulp point out the issue th the agent and shut the gas off and then inform the correct parties himself on your behalf.

Rico
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back