Flue venting back into house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new combi boiler fitted, the previous flue was going through the roof and i was told that it would have been very expensive to replace the asbestos flue and piping. The plumber advised that it was much better to have the flue going out through the wall on the side of my house.

The problem is that if i have windows open on that side of the house and the wind is blowing against it, the fumes (when its heating) can be blown back into the kitchen, which is worrying me as i'm not sure if thats particularly safe, is it just venting steam or a carbon based gas?

The vent is about a meter to the bottom left of my kitchen window.

Can anyone tell me if this is something i should think about changing or is it ok as it is? it doesn't happen very often and is only when certain conditions occur.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is water vapour and carbon dioxide and by time it comes into house it will be very diluted .So no worries . Distance from the window meets the regs. some boilers have a flue deflector that could point it the other way to help stop it being a nuisance

I always tell customers that a vertical flue adds around £250 + VAT to price of job. Condensing flues can be sited to meet all regs but still can cause the 'nuisance' factor with the pluming.

The plumber i use is usually very good with the regulations so thats good to hear its not a problem, i think i'll ask him about a flue deflector and see if its worth the cost.

Edit* I've had another look and the flue is more like half a meter from the window, is this still within regulations? From what i've found the reg is 300mm which it meets but not with a whole lot of space to spare.

Thanks for the replies!

Sponsored Links
regs are 300mm from any opening or air vent. You seem ok for regs!

doitall said:
gas4you said:

But not common sense :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i don't take chances with devices that could kill me if they've been installed badly, common sense i have, experience of complex plumbing systems and regulations i don't.

chimaera_5 said:
doitall said:
gas4you said:

But not common sense :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i don't take chances with devices that could kill me if they've been installed badly, common sense i have, experience of complex plumbing systems and regulations i don't.

Sorry I was refering to your plumber ;)

It ain't gonna kill you but then again it ain't gonna be very pleasant either, all them clouds floating in the window.

Its more relevant what is immediately in front of the flue.

The gases are discharged with considerable force and should have at least 1.2m clear in front of the flue.

By the time it gets that distance away from the flue terminal its become pretty diluted.

Any problem largely sorts itself out because the windows are normally closed when the boiler is used a lot for heating and only open during warm weather when heating is not in use.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back