Fluffy wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct section but i've discovered something of concern.

Having removed all the tiles in the bathroom i've discovered an area of fluffy wall!

This is soft and dry, it falls off if brushed but grows back after a week or so (house under going renovation - no heating etc).

Only seems to occur in the above the toilet cistern (500x200mm patch), which is on an external solid wall beneath a window.

Is it anything to worry about?, No signs of damp etc and never noticed anything when it was tiled.
Was hoping to keep the existing plaster (1/2" cement!) as removing it in other areas hasn't been kind to the underlying brickwork.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Will be moss IMO....solid wall with no cavity and cold water in your cistern will be causing this....wash the wall with water and bleach...

You need ventilation in the room...or it will just keep coming back..or take cistern off wall and put a pad up then fit cistern to this..

Just reading through some posts ere..

When I say ...pad... What I mean is 22mm +wbp ply treated with a wood preservative fixed to the wall then your porcelain cirstin fixed to this...
Or
You can use treated 2x2 or 2x1 treated timber and fix this to the wall then cirstin fixed to this....

You have a solid wall and a porcelain cistron so the cold wall and the cold water in the cirstin will cause the problem you have..

Right that's me for a while work to do.....

Jimmy.....you ave the floor :LOL: :LOL:

Ya auld one fisted git......your luv life must be murder...palm and her five sisters or is it the furry glove still....x x... :LOL: :LOL:

;)

Sponsored Links
Just seen this thread title....

And we'll thought of you......

Auld yin.........

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hope yer doin all right mate....
:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back