tiling over old flaking paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm tiling all around the bath and shower area. Previously there was vinyl plasticy 'tile' all over, with a minimal section of tiles which were falling off. I've removed both the old tiles and vinyl fake-tile-paper stuff. Underneath seems to be the remnants of old paint and the cement wall. (it's a purpose built 1960's block of flats).

My question is how to prepare the wall. Zinsser peel stop? PVA?

Sponsored Links
Definitely not PVA if you're going to tile it. :eek:

Scratch up the surface bad, using either a Stanley knife or a heavy duty wall scraper, then wire brush off all loose flakes, then apply BAL primer, and you're good to go.

Definitely not PVA if you're going to tile it. :eek:

Scratch up the surface bad, using either a Stanley knife or a heavy duty wall scraper, then wire brush off all loose flakes, then apply BAL primer, and you're good to go.

Many thanks for the reply - regarding PVA under bathroom tiles, a family member said that this would provide a 'poor mans seal' if the grout or other (silicone edging?) sealer fails. On many forums I've seen this PVA/bathroom-tile issue cropping up but not an explanation that I understand.

Anyhow - so this is the current plan incorporating your advice (I think/hope!):

Prepare: As you recommend, rough up, remove loose stuff and apply BAL primer - http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/primer

Tiles: Then BAL CTF3 tile adhesive for all three walls that are to be tiled including direct spray areas of shower/bath. It's a typical shower head over the tap-end of a bath setup.

Grout: BAL superflex http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/superflex

I only say "bal superflex" rather than just "Bal CG1 Grout" because of the power shower thing (it's just a 1.8bar shower pump) and the wider gap range.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back