Fluke T50 Voltage/Continuity tester

I have the basic T100 (without resistance and lcd display) and

check box with no value between 10Ω and 0.5MΩ.

It beeps up to the 10Ω but not on 0.5MΩ -as expected.

It also beeps between a wet finger and wet toe - as expected ?

Sponsored Links
I have the basic T100 (without resistance and lcd display) and check box with no value between 10Ω and 0.5MΩ. ... It beeps up to the 10Ω but not on 0.5MΩ -as expected.
Yep, I'll accept that as being 'as expected' (at least, as I would want - as I said, 10Ω is about the limit of what I'd really want to see making it beep).
It also beeps between a wet finger and wet toe - as expected ?
As far as I am concerned, definitely not 'as expected' (or, rather, as I would want!) - unless you're made out of metal, that must be way over 10Ω - probably orders of magnitude higher than that.

Off the top of my head, I can't think what else you could try it with. I don't suppose you have two check boxes with 0.5MΩ resistances, do you? Two of them in parallel would tell us whether the threshold really is anywhere near 400 kΩ.

KInd Regards, John

I have bridged the 0.5MΩ and 2MΩ and it still beeps - 0.4MΩ

It does not beep when bridging the 0.5MΩ and 10MΩ - 0.476MΩ

That would seem to confirm the 400,000Ω in the instructions.

However, as you say, not Why?

I have bridged the 0.5MΩ and 2MΩ and it still beeps - 0.4MΩ .... It does not beep when bridging the 0.5MΩ and 10MΩ - 0.476MΩ ... That would seem to confirm the 400,000Ω in the instructions.
Thanks. That is, indeed, how it seems. Oh dear! Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to test 'for continuity', it would not help me very much to only know that that the resistance between the probes was "no more than 400,000Ω". What do you think?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
not sure of the model of my fluke, but sometimes use it to identify cable links, often on lengths of fp only about 10 metres, testing between 2 cores with one end bridged, sometimes it dont beep,
It also has a display, so if i have a chance i could test it on some part coils of 1.5 singles. and note the readings, any idea what the resistance of 100m 1.5 singles is likely to be

I must admit that I haven't given it any thought before nor studied the instructions.

It is primarily a voltage detector so I haven't used it for anything other than that.

Especially in an instrument with no display - just the beep and one led (which always lights with the beep, by the way) - knowing (now) it could be 0.1Ω or 400,000Ω isn't a lot of help, is it?

Resistance measuring meters of whatever range generally don't beep above 2Ω.

It also has a display, so if i have a chance i could test it on some part coils of 1.5 singles. and note the readings, any idea what the resistance of 100m 1.5 singles is likely to be
That would be interesting. About 1.2Ω at 20°C.
Edit: too slow, yet again :)

Kind Regards.

Not much help then, will have to dig out my fire alarm resisters.
Whats the colour code again :)

If the cables tightly wound on the coil new would that distort resistance readings, shouldnt do i suppose

A quick look in the case with the installation tester, Martindale neon jobby, proving unit and SOK32 reveals a T5-1000, a Steinel Combi-check 1.2 and something similar to that branded by RS.

Can't find the specs for any of them... :(

Especially in an instrument with no display - just the beep and one led (which always lights with the beep, by the way) - knowing (now) it could be 0.1Ω or 400,000Ω isn't a lot of help, is it?
Indeed - as I've been saying, all-but-useless as far as I am concerned.
Resistance measuring meters of whatever range generally don't beep above 2Ω.
Indeed. The multimeter I usually use actually bleeps up to 20Ω, but I don't regard that as too bad.

Kind Regards, John

Just out of interest:

I have done the same measurement on the check box with a proper meter - Fluke 117 - and the readings were spot on.

My wet finger to wet toe reading was a bit unstable around 200 kΩ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back