Flush doesn't always stop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fairly modern flush unit, the type that is connected by a cable to a flush button on the top of the cistern lid, and the overflow goes into the bowl. Every now and again the flush doesn't stop. I have noticed that when this happens the central column in the flush unit doesn't go all the way down, if I give it a little push, the flow stops.

Do I need a new unit, or do you think it could be fixed?.

Regards

Martin

Sponsored Links
You might be in a hard water area, and that type of flush valve doesn't perform well when scaled up.

Remove the flush valve and clean off all scale, especially from the large flexible washer at the bottom.

Those cable operated ones are even more of a pain in the neck, and once they start playing up you're often better off buying a new one. Opella do one that is quite bad, but used to be utterly appalling, and Multikwik do one that appears to be a bit better, but unless you replace yours with one of the same brand size then you'll have to change the seat, which means removing the cistern.

A toilet at my parent's house has a similar problem. I removed the entire flush assembly and found that the sealing/flush gasket had completely deformed, and rather than being flat and smooth, it was very rough and appeared to have air bubbles forming within the rubber. Considering it has been fitted less than a year, I can't say I'm very impressed. I haven't got round to purchasing and fitting a new gasket yet, but let us know what you find - I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had any similar problems to those I describe above!

Sponsored Links
I'm going to take a look this weekend, so I will let you know what I find. I might even take some pictures. It seems to me that sometimes good ideas and innovations lack quality in components and construction.

Martin

Just had the very same problem develop on my one year old Bathstore w/c; haven’t investigated yet so would also be interested in what you find.

rather than being flat and smooth, it was very rough and appeared to have air bubbles forming within the rubber. Considering it has been fitted less than a year, I can't say I'm very impressed.
During that year, has anyone, at any time, put anything other than water in the cistern?

For example, some people think it's a great idea to put those blocks of blue cr*p in the cistern.

It isn't.

During that year, has anyone, at any time, put anything other than water in the cistern?

For example, some people think it's a great idea to put those blocks of blue cr*p in the cistern.

It isn't.

Couldn't possibly tell you, but whenever I've been round and used that toilet, I've never noticed any coloured tints to the flush water that these sort of products usually leave.

I'm still trying to find out the make of the unit, and how it comes apart without removing the whole thing. I have a horrible feeling i'm going to have to replace the whole unit, which means taking the cistern off!
Hey hum.

The drop valve twists and locks/unlocks very much like a bayonet lamp cap.

I took the flush valve out, unfortunately it was a sealed unit so just had to replace it. The new one is a 'Torbeck Variflush Drop Valve' which as you say twists and separates, so in future I won't need to take the cistern off. Whether spare parts are available I don't know.

Anyone looking to change their toilet, my advice would be to stick with the old fashioned handle and siphon flush. The unit I had trouble with was only two years old, the two other toilets are 15 years old and I have never had a problem, and spares are available. What's the point of change if it's less reliable (grumpy old man mode).

Anyway all fixed now, cost 20 pound!

Such seems to be modern (or is it crap) technology. I've yet to investigate why my 10 month old bog has developed similar problems but the 40 year old bog it replaced was still flushing without any problems until the day I ripped it out & chucked it in the skip ; WTF is it all about. :rolleyes:

Well, I think it will be better than the one I took out! (Which isn't saying much). Two years time, I could be doing it all again.

Thanks for listening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back