Flush fitted meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having my house renovated and would like the electricty meter and service head moved to a meter box on the outside wall. Is it acceptable to fit a flush fitted built in meter box to a double brick solid wall if the required depth can be acheived? or are these boxes only allowed to be fitted to cavity wall types?

I was thinking of something like this

Sponsored Links
Our meter box is DIY fitted in a single brick garage wall.

We were told by the DNO that provided the box was secure and the wall sound construction it mattered not how much was exposed inside the garage.

The box is less one brick depth so the only problem I see is effect on structural integrity of wall.

Bernard is there a lintel above the box on your garage wall?

No lintel as there are only 3 courses of brick above the box and they are not load bearing. An over dimensioned wall plate and piers in the wall take the weight of the roof.

Sponsored Links
Is there a minimum height that the bottom of the box should be a above ground level? If the box were low enough the tails could enter the house beneith the floorlevel and pop up 2 feet further inside the house next to where I would like the new consumer unit sited. The house is on a hill so on that side of the house the ground floor level would be just below knee level when standing outside.

I found out what minimum height the box should be. Its 450mm according to Eon

Im having my house renovated and would like the electricty meter and service head moved to a meter box on the outside wall. Is it acceptable to fit a flush fitted built in meter box to a double brick solid wall if the required depth can be acheived? or are these boxes only allowed to be fitted to cavity wall types?

I was thinking of something like this

Why are you fitting the box yourself when the DNO will fit you one when they move your Cutout, won't they?

Phone your SUPPLIER up and tell them you want the mains moving(not the meter or they'll send the wrong bloke) and they'll send an engineer out (free of charge AFAIK) to asses what can be done and where.

I need to supply the box and hockey stick I beleive. I have to do the same with the gas too.

I need to supply the box and hockey stick I beleive. I have to do the same with the gas too.

Is this word of mouth or have you asked the DNO?

Just don't want you to waste your time doing what you are planning only to be told later on by he DNO that they won't move it to where you want or they'll charge you a fortune to move it to where you want.

I have had to install the meter box and hockey stick for our local DNO, as they will not do this. They will only install the cable and joint / terminate etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back